Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How will my S5 handle snow/ice with summer tires?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will my S5 handle snow/ice with summer tires?

To all S5 owners:

I am from Buffalo and have a lot of experience driving in the snow. However, I live in Atlanta and will be driving home in snow/ice later today. This will be my first snow experience in the S5 cab. The quattro should be nice but the summer tires will not be so nice! For those who have driven with the summer tires in snow, please give your opinions!

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove some time last winter on my summer tires, but never below 35° nor in snow. This year I put on Hakkas and it is like there is no snow. If you were in Germany and you drove with summer tires in the snow, you would be arrested and your Audi towed, along with a huge fine. Think of walking on a tile floor covered in olive oil, this is very similar. You are taking your life in your hands, as well as all others on the road. The summer tires are not only undriveable in the snow, they cannot be driven in the rain at temperatures below 35°. Even in the dry at those temperatures, handling will be non-existent; don't accelerate on the on-ramps.

OTOH, if you still decide to go, I would recommend waiting until tomorrow so you don't have to drive in the snow, only single digit cold.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that quattro does not help you stop. And in general quattro doesn't help you turn, especially if you're braking at the same time. So for the safety of your fellow man (or woman) who has to share the road with you - please do not venture out if there is ice or snow on the roads.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi+snow+summer tires= ICE SKATE. I have driven with summer tires in about 2 inches of snow. Take it very easy and remember you won't be able to stop. Maybe take the back way home and ease it in. I ran my summer tires the first winter I had my S5. But I only drove it in the snow once. Cold temps really didn't bother me. The tires were just loud.

Last edited by JBDinTX; 01-28-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In cold weather only, you probably would be OK driving carefully. However, snow and ice represent a serious problem for summer tires. And on a winter road trip to upstate NY the weather can be totally unpredictable. I would hate to be on the NYS thruway driving on summer tires at 65+ when a snow squall hits. Change to UHP all season tires or dedicated winter tires.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep in mind that the summer tire tread gets hard and unyielding much below 40 degrees and even in the dry, traction would be greatly reduced. On ice or snow, they will become downright dangerous - it will be like driving on hockey pucks.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had a issue with cold temps (0-20 degrees dry roads) with my summer tread. Just really loud when the temp was that low. But like I said snow was a issue. Even when I replaced the tires with UHPAS I did not like the way the car handled in the snow. I drove my jeep in the snow. Now that I have my SQ5 I went with a true winter tire. But you living in Atlanta I think that would be overkill. Just take it easy and you should be ok.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Based on my personal experience (not technical, not scientific); it is not a good idea at all unless you will be continuously moving without stopping, accelerating and turning.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Suggest you take out a membership with AMA, so they can give you free towing. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, ABSOLUTE KUDOS TO QUATTRO!!!!!!!!!! My ride home in total crap, ice and snow was a breeze. Now traffic was terrible and there were plenty of accidents, but the car had no issues. While other cars were spinning out and going sideways, the S5 had plenty of grip and minimal to no slip unless I wanted it to. I only had to engage the ABS once trying to stop quickly at a traffic signal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How will my S5 handle snow/ice with summer tires?