Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Mysterious Hood Dents?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Hood Dents?

Good day all. I have come across an issue that I have never seen before on any vehicle.I have a 2010 black A5 with 95K miles and I’m starting to see long, linear dents or deformations on the top side of my hood.These “dents” are about .5” wide and can be up to about 12” long.They are horizontal, vertical and at angles on the hood and it took me awhile to realize that they match up to the bracing channels that are glued on the underside of the hood (see pic).I would try to have these removed, however they seem to come and go with heat and cold.Cold seems to make them more pronounced and heat smooths them out such that you can no longer see them.I assume I’m dealing with expansion and contraction, but have no clue what to do about it.The deformation is very subtle and you can barely feel it, but in the right light, they jump right out looking like long dents.My question would be, “has anyone else every seen this and are there any known remedies?” I took the car to the dealership (not still under warranty) and they claimed to have never heard or seen of this before.I am nearly to the point of buying a new hood, but thought I would run it by the experts here first.Any insight is much appreciated!