Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New member and had questions about 2013 RS5

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and had questions about 2013 RS5

Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. New member here and found a beautiful Audi RS5 being sold by a private seller locally. It has 37k miles on it and is selling it for just over $41k. Before making an offer, I would request to have a PPI done at my expense obviously, but are there any issues with this model year/car that I should be aware of? It looks beautiful.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall, no, there aren't any major issues. What year? The one issue that raises its head most often are brakes. The rotor/pad wasn't the best combination and there were lots of owners reporting premature brake wear and discs going bad in as little as 5K miles. Others had no issues. It's easily solved with aftermarket brake rotors/pads. If the car has front carbon ceramic brakes, it's not a problem. I have OEM rear rotors with aftermarket EBC Red pads and they're doing just fine (I have the carbon ceramic fronts).

Other than that, a PPI would probably find anything errant. Most important is to make sure it's had all of the factory recommended services done on time. There's a big one at 35K which requires all of the transmission fluids to be changed (there's an ATF and a MTF side to the S-Tronic gearbox). You cannot forego any of the services and they're either mileage or time based. The rear differential also needs servicing, both fluid sides (it too has an ATF and a MTF side). Other than that, you'd look for the obvious car-related issues that you'd be concerned with on any used car.

Make sure the car shifts smoothly at low speed, especially slowing down from 2nd to 1st gear when the transmission is in D mode. You'll most likely feel a very small "bump" as you go into first but if it feels like it would throw you into the car in front, then there's an issue. Sometimes it's solved by updating the ECU but if it's severe, it could be what they call a mechatronic issue. That's the electro-hydraulic unit which basically acts as your left foot for clutch operation. It used to be a fairly expensive fix but now Audi sells the electronic part separately. I'm sure it would still run $2K to have Audi do the repair though. The part itself is around $400. Still, it's very uncommon in the 2013+ cars with S-Tronics (and there are quite a few).
Old 09-07-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Ape Factory, thank you so much for the feedback and the detailed overview of the car. I will keep this in mind when I talk to the owner. Yes, it is a 2013.

What I found a bit surprising is that many 2013s RS5s are selling in the low to mid $40s and when looking at BMW M3 and M4s that price can get me into a 2015. I am assuming because the Audi may be able to hold their values more?? I love the exhaust note from the RS5.

thanks again!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalhan
Wow Ape Factory, thank you so much for the feedback and the detailed overview of the car. I will keep this in mind when I talk to the owner. Yes, it is a 2013.

What I found a bit surprising is that many 2013s RS5s are selling in the low to mid $40s and when looking at BMW M3 and M4s that price can get me into a 2015. I am assuming because the Audi may be able to hold their values more?? I love the exhaust note from the RS5.

thanks again!
Exponentially fewer RS5s made than M3's and M4's

That, the benefits of Quattro, in what is still a far stealthier package, makes the RS5 a good value right now
Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are more rare and more reliable. I think their real world speed is finally being appreciated as well. I cross-shopped the M’s and they generally have more issues. The previous gen, e90, is just riddled with problems.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
They are more rare and more reliable. I think their real world speed is finally being appreciated as well. I cross-shopped the M’s and they generally have more issues. The previous gen, e90, is just riddled with problems.
I work for the brand, but I think reliability is on par - M3/M4's are very satisfying cars. Much firmer, more uncomfortable and not as usable as the RS5 though

The E90 series bears nothing in common with the new car fwiw (I've had 3 M's, 1 non M, and 9 Audi's fwiw)

The M's are a touch faster, but again, no where near as usable and are much more "in your phase"