Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New RS5 with no manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Because other than gear ratio variations and software changes to accompany them, I am unaware of any actual mechanical differences between the S-Tronic used in the RS5 vs. all other S/RS cars in today's lineup. Thanks.
Well there you go. There is a big difference in how aggressively they perform in different models. I'm guessing you've never driven an RS5?

The other funny thing parroted in this thread again is this 'the RS5 isn't a track car, it's a GT car' garbage. Obviously it's a GT car, but what makes a 'track car' out of any of these sport sedans? The M3 has a RWD, a 414 hp V8 and a six speed manual, yet in most of the comparison tests it's no faster around the track than the RS5. Yet it's often referred to as a great track car. Why? Because it can hang its tail out in corners (which we all know is the quickest way around the track...)? Debates like this on forums are retarded.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well there you go. There is a big difference in how aggressively they perform in different models. I'm guessing you've never driven an RS5?

The other funny thing parroted in this thread again is this 'the RS5 isn't a track car, it's a GT car' garbage. Obviously it's a GT car, but what makes a 'track car' out of any of these sport sedans? The M3 has a RWD, a 414 hp V8 and a six speed manual, yet in most of the comparison tests it's no faster around the track than the RS5. Yet it's often referred to as a great track car. Why? Because it can hang its tail out in corners (which we all know is the quickest way around the track...)? Debates like this on forums are retarded.
Correct, I have not driven a RS5 and have no plans on doing so either for obvious reasons. And no, I do not consider software tweaks to qualify it as a "superior" system.

Actually, I do not consider the M3 to be a track car either. Both the RS5 and M3 are too overly loaded with accessories to be track cars, regardless the type of transmission is in them. They are sports sedans/GT street cars, to think otherwise is like you said, retarded.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Correct, I have not driven a RS5 and have no plans on doing so either for obvious reasons. And no, I do not consider software tweaks to qualify it as a "superior" system.
I wouldn't either, however, the RS5 has a different mechatronic unit that shifts much faster. It was actually tuned twice. Once for the original intro of the 2010 RS5 in Europe and then made even faster for the 2013 RS5. It's quite a bit more than just software.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Then you know not of what you speak, which I guess is par for the course on the Interwebs.

Last edited by Archimedes; 06-04-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
I wouldn't either, however, the RS5 has a different mechatronic unit that shifts much faster. It was actually tuned twice. Once for the original intro of the 2010 RS5 in Europe and then made even faster for the 2013 RS5. It's quite a bit more than just software.
Can you post links to where you read this from ?

Is this "new" mechatronic you are speaking of exclusively use in the RS5 only or is it shared among all B8.5 cars ?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Then you know not of what you speak, which I guess is par for the course on the Interwebs.
What !?

Last edited by Tifosi; 06-04-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Now, as for the "superior" DSG system in the RS5 you are speaking of, please link or post where you got this information from so I can bring myself up to date on the development of the VAG-DSG systems. Because other than gear ratio variations and software changes to accompany them, I am unaware of any actual mechanical differences between the S-Tronic used in the RS5 vs. all other S/RS cars in today's lineup. Thanks.
I'm sure I have the links saved somewhere, but how about you do your own homework before coming to forums like these and argue about stuff that you seem to have limited knowledge of. As I said above, The RS5 S-tronic has a different mechatronic unit. The transmission has been mechanically tuned, not just software tweaks. This information is out there in interviews with engineers from Quattro Gmbh and has been reiterated in several reviews of the RS5. Evidence to this is the fact that the RS5 maintenance schedule calls for the mechatronic fluid to be replaced at regular intervals, where in the S5 it is good for the lifetime of the car. BTW, the DL501 S-tronic has two separate oil circuits. The regular transmission oil needs to be replaced in all variants of the S-tronic at regular intervals, but the mechatronic oil does not need to be replaced in S cars. That should be an indication even to you, the the two variants perform at different levels.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm sure I have the links saved somewhere, but how about you do your own homework before coming to forums like these and argue about stuff that you seem to have limited knowledge of. As I said above, The RS5 S-tronic has a different mechatronic unit. The transmission has been mechanically tuned, not just software tweaks. This information is out there in interviews with engineers from Quattro Gmbh and has been reiterated in several reviews of the RS5. Evidence to this is the fact that the RS5 maintenance schedule calls for the mechatronic fluid to be replaced at regular intervals, where in the S5 it is good for the lifetime of the car. BTW, the DL501 S-tronic has two separate oil circuits. The regular transmission oil needs to be replaced in all variants of the S-tronic at regular intervals, but the mechatronic oil does not need to be replaced in S cars. That should be an indication even to you, the the two variants perform at different levels.
Actually, you are incorrect about the fluid being lifetime in the S5, it is to be changed initially at 35K and every 40K after that. This applies to both B8 and B8.5 S4/S5 cars. IIRC, DL501 went into production in 2008 and was basically known as the 7-Speed S-Tronic transmission that is used in the B8 S4/S5/RS5 variant. I am aware that there was software changes and ratio changes from the B8 to B8.5 cars but nothing significant as you seen to be indicating. So yes, if you can find the link/source then please do post it. I will certainly be more than happy to do my homework and enrich my limited knowledge base of the DL501 system.

I have driven B8 RS4 and RS5 over in Europe and then the S6/S7 here in the States in addition to the B8.5 S4 loan vehicles from my dealerships. I have not noticed any notable differences or improvement when compare to my car. Have you driven any of the S-Tronic equipped B8 RS cars before ? How do they differ from your B8.5 RS5 ?

Last edited by Tifosi; 06-04-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, you are incorrect about the fluid being lifetime in the S5, it is to be changed initially at 35K and every 40K after that. This applies to both B8 and B8.5 S4/S5 cars. IIRC, DL501 went into production in 2008 and was basically known as the 7-Speed S-Tronic transmission that is used in the B8 S4/S5/RS5 variant. I am aware that there was software changes and ratio changes from the B8 to B8.5 cars but nothing significant as you seen to be indicating. So yes, if you can find the link/source then please do post it. I will certainly be more than happy to do my homework and enrich my limited knowledge base of the DL501 system.

I have driven B8 RS4 and RS5 over in Europe and then the S6/S7 here in the States in addition to the B8.5 S4 loan vehicles from my dealerships. I have not noticed any notable differences or improvement when compare to my car. Have you driven any of the S-Tronic equipped B8 RS cars before ? How do they differ from your B8.5 RS5 ?
You need to read what I wrote more carefully. The fluid that's changed at 35k and every 40k after that is the ATF fluid. I'm talking about the MTF fluid. These are two separate items. Below is a snippet from the maintenance schedule if you don't believe me.

No, I haven't driven a B8 RS. Most of the differences are apparent if you drive the car hard. There's actually a thread going on on Audizine in the S4 forum about up to 1 second delays on downshifts if you downshift in the higher rpm band. Delays like that simply don't occur in the RS5.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

<<<@!1!@>>>

I was referring to your posting comments about a transmission in a car that you've never even driven.

And, even if you haven't experienced one yet, all you'd have to do is watch any number of video reviews of the RS5 to see reviewer after reviewer rave about how good the gearbox is in the RS5.

Skip to the 6 minute mark.

Last edited by Archimedes; 06-04-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For example this one. Fast forward to about 2:56 and 5:04.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-04-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: New RS5 with no manual?