Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

OK, let's talk performance brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, let's talk performance brake pads

Ok - my current pads work just fine, however the brake dust is horrible for the braking I get. I am coming from a Corvette with 6 piston front brakes and Stop Tech pads, so comparing the two braking components is like comparing a BF109 to an F22 Raptor.

I would like to reduce the amount of dust while adding better bite from cold (without resorting to Stop Tech or CarboTech AX6 pads) which chew up rotors really quickly. I may end up autocrossing the car. My wife and I used to autocross and HPDE my Corvette fairly regularly.

I see Akebono, Powerstop and some other companies advertise their wares, but wanted to check with some of y'all and see what y'all are using. I found the Z23 Evolution front/rear kit for a reasonable price of under $500.00 US and thought that might be the way to go - slotted and cross drilled rotors, pads, shim kit and sensor wires all included.

Any else do something similar and have pics of their brake set up?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I changed the pads on my S5 to Akebono , took about two weeks to get used to the different pedal feel , but breaking is outstanding and the big plus is the wheels stay clean, no more black dust.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have tried ceramic pads but could never get used to the lack of initial bite. I have found that Centric Posi Quiet Semi Metallics offer the same or even better bite than OEM pads and a bit less dust. FYI Centric and StopTech are sister companies. I’ve had the Centric pads on a Q7 and they are my street pads on the TTs. I will use them on the S5 when it comes time for pads.

POSIQUIET - Centric Parts
Old 08-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am looking at the Stop Tech Cross Drilled rotors and Stop Tech Street Pads bundle from ECS. The only bad thing about the kit is that it does NOT come with the front pad wear sensor wire, but a decent one from ECS is only like 6 bucks. Seems for 600 dollars they would throw in the wear sensor, but like the Rolling Stones song says, you can't always get what you want.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how are you guys getting these cheap prices? I'm seeing $2400 for some of the stoptech BBK's...
Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am NOT getting a BBK - just replacing rotors and pads.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ohh okay, its the calipers that must be so much. especially 6 piston, my bad. Are the stop tech pads ceramic or a metallic blend? I'm looking at HAWK ceramics myself. I have stock calipers and want something beefier but not THAT necessary. I've heard and read that slotted/drilled aren't worth the money for the lack of cooling they have actually provided under stress, some even maintained the heat.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Semi metallic - I abhor ceramic pads.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KBoltz
Semi metallic - I abhor ceramic pads.
why's that? arent they the quietest, lowest amount of brake dust, and minimal heat/best longevity?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by spense4
why's that? arent they the quietest, lowest amount of brake dust, and minimal heat/best longevity?
I put a set of Hawk Ceramics on a TT once and was so dissatisfied with their bite and friction coefficient that I took them off in just a few hundred miles. A couple of years later when I needed pads again I tried them again. Same deal. Took them back off and gave them away. They weren’t dusty though ;-)

Quick Reply: OK, let's talk performance brake pads