Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Possible to Disable Rain Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to Disable Rain Sensor?

Is it possible to disable the rain sensor and use the one up position as regular intermittent setting? The rain sensor sucks and I use rainx and only need the wipers when my wife is in the car. Drives me crazy to have the rain sensor faster than the slow setting for no reason.

TIA
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejfiii
Is it possible to disable the rain sensor and use the one up position as regular intermittent setting? The rain sensor sucks and I use rainx and only need the wipers when my wife is in the car. Drives me crazy to have the rain sensor faster than the slow setting for no reason.

TIA
Keep the stalk in the Off position (bottom position). That will disable the rain-sensor, then if you want to use them, move to the 2nd from the bottom position (intermittent).
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Moving to the second position activates the rain sensor with the intermittent 'slide' switch changing the 'sensitivity' of the rain sensor.

This and the three blink passing turn signal drive me freakin nuts. Why does Audi think they know better than me how I want to operate the car? Keep them if you want but give me a way to override them or turn them off.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving to the second position activates the rain sensor with the intermittent 'slide' switch changing the 'sensitivity' of the rain sensor.
Check out this link from A5OC. You'll have to check through the post carefully, but it might shed some light on the subject.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

TIA
You're not alone, the sensor sucks. I pretty much try to forget about the intermittant setting, since it always seems to think it needs to put the wipers on fast instead of WHERE I PUT THE GD SPEED SWITCH!!!!!! sorry I had to get that out.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

rain sensor don't bother me.. why you want to disable it??
Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the three blink lane change signal doesn't bother me at all except I find myself not holding the lever on whatever Toyota I'm driving from work.

What I find weird is that I'll run the washers and then they stop (or at least I think they do). It makes another pass several seconds later smearing things up. WTF is that?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

I think it does detect when is raining and when rain stops it might have a delay sequence built in before shuting down completely. I never pay much attention to be honest. I will check next time and tell you my thoughts.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

The manual states that products like Rain-x should not be used as it interferes with the sensing wipers. I wonder if this is contributing to the problems you're experiencing.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
the three blink lane change signal doesn't bother me at all except I find myself not holding the lever on whatever Toyota I'm driving from work.

What I find weird is that I'll run the washers and then they stop (or at least I think they do). It makes another pass several seconds later smearing things up. WTF is that?

In theory, the extra wipe is supposed to pick up any drips from the washer fluid that start rolling down the windshield after the first few wipes... but I agree with you. All it does is smear the windshield up.

Quick Reply: Possible to Disable Rain Sensor?