Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Possible to Disable Rain Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Love My A5
The manual states that products like Rain-x should not be used as it interferes with the sensing wipers. I wonder if this is contributing to the problems you're experiencing.
I believe this is the case. I think I've seen other reports of problems caused by Rain-X.

I love the rain sensor. It works like a charm for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes

I love the rain sensor. It works like a charm for me.
Same here - I miss it in cars that dont have it...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u080570
Ditto. works perfect for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain X Rules

I would take that over auto wipers any day of the week. Try running auto wipe in winter storms. So much salt spray it will etch your window if the wipers keep running. If you X, then you can see through it while selectively using washer or wipe. I know it is a convienence feature, but really, how hard is it to run your wipers when you think it is necessary. If you can't figure that out, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Obvioulsy this is my opinion, but not being able to X your windshield is pretty stupid.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u080570
Well, I see you live in Texas. I'd love my rain sensors if I lived where snowfall was rare. They work fine in the rain. But the rain sensors were disastrous all winter here in Cleveland. Sometimes the snow would be falling heavily, obscuring the windshield, and the wipers would go to work about every 15 seconds, even when set to the shortest possible interval. At other times, they would launch into maniac hyperdrive when there were about two flakes a minute coming down.

Does anyone find that the slider switch for setting the interval is marked counterintuitively, with the LONGER icon indicating SHORTER intervals between wiper activations?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
Well, I see you live in Texas.
I lived in Cleveland (Westlake actually) for a few years -- definitely lots of snow there...part of the reason I live in Houston now - no snow (although it did snow here in December -- time to move further south!!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

All I'm saying is give me an option to turn it off and have a regular intermittent wiper I can control. And allow me turn off the triple action blinker too.

As said above I ONLY use the wipers when my wife is in the car and it would be nice to have the intermittent feature so I can control the speed of the wipers.

You like it, great. I don't and should be able to disable it and set the wiper speed that I want. Or even better have an intermittent and a rain sensor position for the stalk. Would that be so hard? Thats all.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the rain sensor works perfectly as designed.

In other words, I hate it.

I live in So California, where people turn on their windshield wipers if there's fog. The sensor turns on the wipers at the slightest bit of precipitation, and is much too fast when there is anything other than a torrential downpoor.

I actually manually trigger the wipers (press the stalk down briefly) ever few seconds or so in anything other than drenching rain. It sounds like a pain, but it's become automatic for me.

Regarding the short signal function, I love it. Only problem is, sometimes I will complete the lane change and move the signal stalk the other direction to 'reset' it, forgetting that I had just 'tapped' it previously. This will of course turn the signal on in the other direction, likely confusing drivers behind me and inciting more road rage. Oh well.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old thread, sorry... but I solved this problem.

IDEAS: Bypassing / overriding the rain sensor's control of intermittent wiping delay

Also, someone above mentioned the triple-blink of the turn signal when changing lanes (which I love, but to each their own)... you can correct that with VAG-COM reprogramming.

Hope this helps,

-Jon
Old 04-26-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, the rain sensor can be disabled and the car reverts to standard "intermittent" wipe mode.

Quick Reply: Possible to Disable Rain Sensor?