Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Posted below by mistake, addressing Nav system follow up

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Posted below by mistake, addressing Nav system follow up

I spoke with Audi, Navtech, and Harmon (makers of the system). Navtech evidently saids a bunch of "raw data" to Audi. Audi chooses which data it wants to include, which POI package it wants, and then works with Harmon to design the system. Navtech tells me they offer diffent "levels" of POIs, and that Audi likely bought the cheapest most basic version. this makes sense on some levels, since I cannot find Walmart, target, Circuit city etc anywhere on the system. It doesnt make sense though that the nearest Ferry station, Wine store or Automobile club, all of which i can find, would be included in this BASIC system. It almost seems as if an entire category, i.e BUSINESSES, is missing from the disc. Target, Walmart etc should be part of a basic package. NavTech said that companies have to pay to belong to the POI lists, but why woul dthey be in the POI for a honda accord, toyota camary, Nissan Maxima, BMW, Mercedes (all of which I have looked) and NOT in the Audi. It just does not make any sense. Since the data exists, and its just a matter of Audi asking for it to be included on the software, I think we Audi Owners (not just in this forumn) need to demand that the next version of the DVD be updated with what I consider basic information. Again, it just doesnt seem to make sense since these are not odd stores or anything. With the newer vehicles have the harddrive, I am not sure how much attention will be payed to the DVD based, but it NEEDS to be addressed and we have a right to demand it. Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't think anyone has enough power to demand stuff like that...

It does suck... you would think that stuff would be included.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi listens to J.D. Power surveys. But they'll probably just improve 3G MMI, and not tinker w/ 2G
Old 12-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The Nav was Designed by Germans for Europeans, and they could care less about Best Buy or Walmarts

Hello Andrew,

Audi is located in Ingolstadt, the "squarest" of all towns in Bavaria. Most Germans live in Small Towns or Villages, not suburbs. They do not purchase junk every day for the hell of it, when they do go shopping it is in their town center or another town center. IF they cannot walk to that town center, they drive a car to a CAR PARK (Garage). The large super-markets do exist, and so do appliance/ electronic stores, but in Germany they are almost always in the Industriepark on the outskirts of town next to the McDonalds and Autobahn entrance and are therefore easy to find without a NAV. And again, most Germans would never drive to another town to find a nicer supermarket etc, they would just go to their own.

Germans like to travel all over Europe. That is why the POI are Hotels, Gas, Rest areas, Restaurants etc. In Germany, the Audi POI's are perfect. They also include Ski Resorts in Europe, Public Pools, Spa/Thermal Baths, Arenas, Symphony Halls, Industrial Parks, Town Centers, City Halls, Banks, Factory Address (BMW, Bayer, Siemens etc.) again, that is what Germans do, they could care less about finding the nearest Walmarts and buying some lame Chinese crap or the latest Boyz to Men DVD. Look, when I am in a rented Audi A6 in Germany, I can roll off the freeway, and drive direct to the Altstadt parking Garage right next to the famous Bratwurstl Roast Bratwurst House in Nurenburg since it is a POI. That is useful in Germany!

German's and most Europeans that can afford an Audi live this way, that is why the software is the way it is. Maybe they should have changed it for the USA, but they did not. And frankly, I like it the way it is.

Not trying to make excuses for Audi, just trying to explain why the nav is the way it is. Be thankful that these Europeans that designed your car and made it wonderful spend so little time in Walmarts or Best Buy!

BTW, I am American, live in Michigan and have an Iphone to find POI then enter the address. (Yes, you heard that before too many times) If I was lazy, I would buy a $200 thin basic Garmin and that would be a faster way to find POI.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

But...its only a software update, so taht should not be too hard to do. that data exists!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Michigan? Is that in teh US- j/k, I am a Buckeye Alum, couldnt resist

Your points are well taken, EXCEPT, we DO live in the USA, not Germany, and while I don't like shopping at walmart, I do like finding things like Lowes, circuity city, etc. Since the data exists, it would have been simple for Audi to purchase this..

Plenty of other import cars (MB for example) include more common things.
Oh well, I will survive!!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes plz Audi, add Walmarts so that I can program "avoid Walmarts" like I do for tolls & u-turns

LOL
Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Boy, oh Boy, Andrew. I could search this forum when you cried each day, longing for the car :-)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Can't find Lowes or Walmart? There is one next to every Target right? Notice those big signs?

Just kidding!

I understand your point, but if you go to Lowes, you know where it is, right? So when you are traveling, do you need to find these stores, or do need directions to the Lowes or Walmart in your town?

You are right, they should have added these points instead of Wine Stores for the USA. I was just trying to explain how Audi might have picked the waypoints that the did choose.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default lol......That doesnt mean I cant "critique" like the rest!!! But your right,

I did my fair share of crying, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy holidays!

Quick Reply: Posted below by mistake, addressing Nav system follow up