Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Problem with Audi 2013 S5 EPC

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with Audi 2013 S5 EPC

Hello fellow Audi owners....I LOVE my 2013 S5 !! About 7 months ago, I had a APR Stage 1 tune done on it, as well as the APR transmission tune...the car is INCREDIBLE, to say the least. However, something that started about a month ago is that after a few hard accelerations, there is a little “pop”, followed with by the warning light coming on (“DO NOT EXCEED MAX. ENGINE SPEED OF 4000 RPM), and the EPC light coming on. Both the APR shop and my son (a mechanical engineer and car head) have run it up on the computer, and it shows no codes being thrown whatsoever. APR claims that they have never heard of this either. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD OF THIS ? I would appreciate any and all help on this...thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

...by the way, it is happening with increasing frequency, and used to occur near redline...but now, it has happened under moderate acceleration at around 3000 rpm...
The following users liked this post:
Jezign (05-15-2023)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

How do you get it to clear? Does it reset when you stop and restart the engine? Do you have to clear it with a code reader? Do you have VagCom (VCDS)?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If I shut the engine off and restart, it clears...no code reader at all needed. In fact, when it is hooked up to a computer, it shows no fault code at all (my son hooked it to the computer, and got it to “pop” on a drive, but it threw co fault codes at all). I don’t know what VagCom is, so I probably don’t have it.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

VAgCom is an Audi VW dedicated software and connector cable ( dongle).
It is very similar to the program used at dealer service departments. The reason I ask is that there are codes that are Audi specific that a generic reader will not display. Good luck on your diagnosis and fix. I would first go to the tuner and ask him to scan and diagnose. If that fails I would ask him to reflash the stock program and take the car to the dealership. You COULD just go to the dealer with the APR program in it but that might result in finger pointing that may not be warranted.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I made an appointment with the dealership (the APR shop was unable to find anything). I told them it had a tune, and they were ok with that (a guy in the shop is big into tuning). So, it goes in on Monday, and we’ll see. Thanks for the info...let’s hope that it shows up on the VAgCom.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by abwdds
I made an appointment with the dealership (the APR shop was unable to find anything). I told them it had a tune, and they were ok with that (a guy in the shop is big into tuning). So, it goes in on Monday, and we’ll see. Thanks for the info...let’s hope that it shows up on the VAgCom.
Sounds good. Good luck! I’m following closely because my 2015 Manual Trans S5 is at 32000 miles now and I’m itching to drive it down to APR and flash stage1 on it. Haven’t done it so far due to desire to keep warranty intact and uncompromised. ( not that I’ve ever needed it )
Old 07-13-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S5 wont start with EPC Code

Hello,

I have a 2012 Audi S5 and my slave cylinder was replaced and now the car won't start and I only have an EPC code on the dash. The starter now doesn't engage or turn as if its dead. I have to pop the clutch to get the car started. The car was starting fine even before the slave cylinder was replaced. The dealer is telling me I need a new starter but I'm not buying that since they want 2500 to change it because of where the starter is located on the engine on the 4.2 L 8 cylinder. 15 hours of labor they say.

Anyone seen this issue before ?
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did the dealership figure it out?

Originally Posted by abwdds
Old 09-20-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same thing with my S5 2013. did you come up with a solution or distinctive answer?
the dealership i bought the car from told me that is how these car left the factory and its for saving the engine healthy...

Quick Reply: Problem with Audi 2013 S5 EPC