Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Question about RS5 Mesh Grill before going to shop for swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about RS5 Mesh Grill before going to shop for swap

Good morning, my wife wants to buy me the RS5 mesh grill for my 2013 a5 cabriolet. I have a couple of questions. What is your opinion about what would look better on my car. Black mesh with black surround, black mesh with chrome surround, or chrome mesh with chrome surround? I'm leaning towards one if the first 2. I also want to know... I as told that some cars have a silver metal bar behind the OEM grill on the 2013 a5 that may need to be painted if I switch to a mesh grill but I was told they don't remember if it was the coupe or the cabriolet. I would like to know ahead of time before bringing the car in if mine has that bar. Attached is a pic of my current grill. Thanks all for the invaluable info you always give.
Attached Images  

Last edited by phoneboy6; 12-06-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneboy6
Good morning, my wife wants to buy me the RS5 mesh grill for my 2013 a5 cabriolet. I have a couple of questions. What is your opinion about what would look better on my car. Black mesh with black surround, black mesh with chrome surround, or chrome mesh with chrome surround? I'm leaning towards one if the first 2. I also want to know... I as told that some cars have a silver metal bar behind the OEM grill on the 2013 a5 that may need to be painted if I switch to a mesh grill but I was told they don't remember if it was the coupe or the cabriolet. I would like to know ahead of time before bringing the car in if mine has that bar. Attached is a pic of my current grill. Thanks all for the invaluable info you always give.
I went thru this challenge last year. I couldnt decide between gumetal/silver mesh with chrome surround, or black mesh with black surround for 14 cab.
I beleive 13 and 14 have same black background, and not silver.

I like the sound or 1 or 3 on your car In my case I went with black mesh, black surround, with black rings to complement gunmetal rims. I think either would look great on your car, maybe leaning towards gunmetal/silver with chrome surround for your car.

here is a pic
Name:  A2.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  104.3 KB

Since you are in NYC, Id remove the front plate holder, and def leave out the RS5 Badge that comes with the grille
Old 05-19-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process for purchasing a 2015 S5. I also want to swap out the front grill with the RS5. How easy or difficult is it? Where is the best website/shop to find this? I am in Los Angeles.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just installed a rep RS5 grille on my prefacelift A5. Was really easy. I used 3M black vinyl instead of painting the crash bar behind the grille.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

How long have you had the vinyl on? I had mine painted twice once with bed liner paint and it still all chipped off pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by Jhearty99
Just installed a rep RS5 grille on my prefacelift A5. Was really easy. I used 3M black vinyl instead of painting the crash bar behind the grille.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by phoneboy6
How long have you had the vinyl on? I had mine painted twice once with bed liner paint and it still all chipped off pretty quickly.
I only installed the grille about 2 weeks ago. I went with the 3M vinyl because i have heard many people say that the paint chips easily. I picked up a 5'X1' strip on ebay for like $15. Was really easy to do. Just use a hair dryer or heat gun and it goes on very easy.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jhearty99
I only installed the grille about 2 weeks ago. I went with the 3M vinyl because i have heard many people say that the paint chips easily. I picked up a 5'X1' strip on ebay for like $15. Was really easy to do. Just use a hair dryer or heat gun and it goes on very easy.
Where did you buy the replica grill from ? did you have any fitment issues ?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcls63
Where did you buy the replica grill from ? did you have any fitment issues ?
I didnt have any fitment issues at all. Just make sure you buy the one for your year " 2013 Facelift " and u should be fine.
I purchased my grill from ECS Tuning when I bought my car new, for about $750 .... crazy expensive.
Mine has a crack/hole in it after 5yrs and needs to be replaced. This time I am looking to buy a cheap one from ebay, shipped from China at quarter the price
Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tr3ndsetr
buy a cheap one from ebay, shipped from China at quarter the price
Just bought one from originaleuro.com for 188 shipped. Will post pics once i get it.

Quick Reply: Question about RS5 Mesh Grill before going to shop for swap