Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

question about Special Order COLOR; need help from people (USA) who have done this

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about Special Order COLOR; need help from people (USA) who have done this

I placed an order for a 2012 Audi A5 at my Audi dealer (in USA), for a Special Order exterior color: Amethyst Gray.
Everything I had read on AudiWorld and other forums indicated that special order colors, as long as the buyer was choosing from Audi's color palette, would be priced at $2,500. My Audi dealer said the same thing, and wrote the Order at $2,500 for the special order color.

Some time later, my dealer tells me that the "Distribution Center" said that because Amethyst Gray is not on the color palette for any USA Audi vehicles, the price for the special color will be $6,000.
My dealer salesman said he called an Audi dealer in Germany and confirmed that color Amethyst Gray is on Audi's 2012 color palette in Germany for the Audi Q5.

My dealer allegedly checked again with the "Distribution Center" (in the USA) and with some "dealer representative" and they're all saying that despite the fact that Amethyst Gray is on Audi's color palette for 2012, the cost will be $6,000, and NOT $2,500 because that color is not normally available on any vehicles for the USA market.

That response ($6,000 pricing) is inconsistent with everything I've read here and elsewhere. Did something change?
Can somebody who has done a special order exterior color in the USA please clarify this for me?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uroplatus
I placed an order for a 2012 Audi A5 at my Audi dealer (in USA), for a Special Order exterior color: Amethyst Gray.
Everything I had read on AudiWorld and other forums indicated that special order colors, as long as the buyer was choosing from Audi's color palette, would be priced at $2,500. My Audi dealer said the same thing, and wrote the Order at $2,500 for the special order color.

Some time later, my dealer tells me that the "Distribution Center" said that because Amethyst Gray is not on the color palette for any USA Audi vehicles, the price for the special color will be $6,000.
My dealer salesman said he called an Audi dealer in Germany and confirmed that color Amethyst Gray is on Audi's 2012 color palette in Germany for the Audi Q5.

My dealer allegedly checked again with the "Distribution Center" (in the USA) and with some "dealer representative" and they're all saying that despite the fact that Amethyst Gray is on Audi's color palette for 2012, the cost will be $6,000, and NOT $2,500 because that color is not normally available on any vehicles for the USA market.

That response ($6,000 pricing) is inconsistent with everything I've read here and elsewhere. Did something change?
Can somebody who has done a special order exterior color in the USA please clarify this for me?
I did Pearl red and I was quoted 2500 but later they changed it to 6000, but the deal was already done as I already had given them my A5 as a trade. The dealership paid the difference. Did u complete the deal? I've seen buyers order different colors for 2500 but they were available here.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by patrooper
I did Pearl red and I was quoted 2500 but later they changed it to 6000, but the deal was already done as I already had given them my A5 as a trade. The dealership paid the difference. Did u complete the deal? I've seen buyers order different colors for 2500 but they were available here.
The order was in place for less than 2-weeks, but the dealer said that an order was not placed with the factory because they wanted to make sure that the color was available. they had quoted the price of $2,500 for the Special Order color, but when they came back (twice) with the $6,000 figure, and I said I would not pay $6,000, they cancelled the order.

I have seen or read about other people with Special Order colors, that seem to have not been available in the USA, but were on the Audi color palette in other places, and the price was $2,500. Even my dealer was fairly sure of that. But now we're hearing its $6,000.
I see that you're located in Pennsylvania. I am also located in Pennsylvania. Could it be that the Audi rep that our dealers are talking to, or the "Distribution Center" that services our region is the problem?
The idea that the color is available in Germany but not in the USA, and that justifies the $6K is insane. I wasn't asking for a color that is outside of Audi's color palette.

I'll try calling Audi of America about this issue, but if they confirm the $6K pricing, then I'll probably wait (especially since the rear camera is a current issue), and see if I come across another brand vehicle that will suit my needs.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I ordered Daytona Gray. It was a $2500 difference, but I assume that is because it is available in the US on the R8 and Q5 as a standard color... just not on the S5.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
I ordered Daytona Gray. It was a $2500 difference, but I assume that is because it is available in the US on the R8 and Q5 as a standard color... just not on the S5.
On another Audi enthusiast forum site, there was a thorough explanation of the costs of Special Order paint colors by the guy from Houston (who goes by the name "The Chef") who ordered his S5 in Glut Orange. His 5/30/2010 post says that any Audi AG color is $2500. Any other color is $6000. As I recall, the color he chose (Glut Orange) was not a color available on any models in the USA. I'd post a link to that post on the other forum, but my understanding is that AudiWorld does not want cross-posts to that other forum.

If "The Chef" was the only person to have explained the pricing I'd question it. But his explanation is consistent with every other person (who had ordered and received a special order color)'s explanation going back to 2007.
Did Audi change this since 2010?
Or is this just a situation of the Audi "Distribution Center" getting it wrong?

Are there any Audi sales people out there that know, and are willing to place the Order at the $2,500 price, for color Amethyst Gray??
Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uroplatus
The order was in place for less than 2-weeks, but the dealer said that an order was not placed with the factory because they wanted to make sure that the color was available. they had quoted the price of $2,500 for the Special Order color, but when they came back (twice) with the $6,000 figure, and I said I would not pay $6,000, they cancelled the order.

I have seen or read about other people with Special Order colors, that seem to have not been available in the USA, but were on the Audi color palette in other places, and the price was $2,500. Even my dealer was fairly sure of that. But now we're hearing its $6,000.
I see that you're located in Pennsylvania. I am also located in Pennsylvania. Could it be that the Audi rep that our dealers are talking to, or the "Distribution Center" that services our region is the problem?
The idea that the color is available in Germany but not in the USA, and that justifies the $6K is insane. I wasn't asking for a color that is outside of Audi's color palette.

I'll try calling Audi of America about this issue, but if they confirm the $6K pricing, then I'll probably wait (especially since the rear camera is a current issue), and see if I come across another brand vehicle that will suit my needs.
Get on audi's web site and look at all the colors on all the vehicles. U can have any color for 2500.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told yesterday by an Audi salesman that special order colours are $3,500 CDN - while he was driving me home in a special order colour A5 cab - looked like sprint blue but was metallic - georgous colur.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exclusive colors

The Audi US site shows exclusive colors for the A5 for 2011. I hope they are the same for 2012.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/m...exclusive.html

My dealer quoted $2000 for the exclusive colors.

He also stated that the Order Guide did not show a rear camera option, but upon checking with Audi of America, the rear camera is included with the Navigation option.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing we have cleared up is that audi salespeople have no clue. I was told $2500 if it's an audi color and $6000 for any color outside that
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PARealtor
One thing we have cleared up is that audi salespeople have no clue. I was told $2500 if it's an audi color and $6000 for any color outside that
Don't hold ur breath on the Audi North American rep to be much better as in my case although it worked out in my favor. No if i can get someone to turn on voice before I kill myself i will be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: question about Special Order COLOR; need help from people (USA) who have done this