Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Question Regarding Battery Terminals/Charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Regarding Battery Terminals/Charging

Greetings.

I store my A5 for the winter so I had a Deltran battery maintainer hooked up to it during that time. Worked wonderfully as long as it was connected directly to the posts of the battery in the trunk.

When I initially tried connecting the maintainer to the + connector (under the plastic cover, under the hood) and to the - bolt on the chassis, nothing happened. It gave a condition like there was no battery hooked up to it. The Deltran is a pretty small unit (1.25A) so I'm thinking perhaps it didn't have enough juice to overcome the resistance or whatever circuitry there is between the + connector and the actual + battery terminal.

This week some battery chargers/maintainers were on sale so I bought a different unit as a test (2A). Connected it the + connector under the hood and to the chassis ground with the same results - nothing.
This unit is maybe a little bigger than the other one, but not by a whole lot.

Has anyone successfully hooked up a battery maintainer to these connectors under the hood before? If so, how many amps was the unit and what brand/model was it? It's a bit of a pain in the butt to have to remove the spare tire and everything else just to get to the battery posts.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you regarding charging through the posts in the front, but if all fails, you might want to consider a CTEK charger (http://smartercharger.com/). They have terminal leads that can make the connection a little easier, so you will not have to remove the spare everytime you hook it up. I use one for my other car and it is very easy to use and has worked very well through the winter.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

there must be something wrong with your terminals, i never had any issues with it, charges perfectly with my bike charger using same engine compartment posts.

this is what i have, exact model: bettery tender plus.
http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have both a 750mA & 1.25A Battery Tender and connect them as you described. They both work fine on my S5. Are you sure you're on the + post under the plastic cover? As I recall there are a 2-3 posts under that cover.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 4RINGSx3
I have both a 750mA & 1.25A Battery Tender and connect them as you described. They both work fine on my S5. Are you sure you're on the + post under the plastic cover? As I recall there are a 2-3 posts under that cover.

Same here, no issues using the under-hood posts.

I pick up my hot connection under that little plastic cover (see photo below), I pick up my ground connection on a post over near the A/C charging points; there's a large metal stud marked with a "-" sign.

Name:  a4port.jpg
Views: 13779
Size:  74.1 KB
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!

You guys helped me figure it out, especially with that photo.

I didn't open that cover shown in the diagram, instead I was using that nut directly to the south of it (covered with a plastic cap). When I opened the hood and removed the first cover and saw the red terminal symbol I assumed that was the + connector. Doh!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Same here, no issues using the under-hood posts.

I pick up my hot connection under that little plastic cover (see photo below), I pick up my ground connection on a post over near the A/C charging points; there's a large metal stud marked with a "-" sign.
I did the same thing this past winter, no issues.