Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Radio keeps losing presets

Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told to move my presets to position 20 and above. That seems to work so far after 2 SIRIUS updates.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Darn it. I never had a problem before with losing presets, until today. It was only the XM presets that were lost. The FM was ok. Luckily, I only had 3 XM presets to start with.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by q3newbie
I was told to move my presets to position 20 and above. That seems to work so far after 2 SIRIUS updates.
All of my presets are 20 and above--still loose most of them during updates. The updates are much less frequent now the holiday season is over.

BTW, my friend with a 2016 SQ5 also has the same problem with loosing presets after updates, so this is not just a problem with older models. He solve the problem by cancelling Sirius/XM and loading all his music into the MMI.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

My MMI showed Sirius updating tonight when I stared the car. I expected my Sirius presets to be gone but low and behold, they are still there. No clue

Last edited by J. Patterson; 01-31-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deal with this problem by:
1. Waiting till the update is completely finished. Usually a couple of seconds after it reaches 100%
2. If that fails, reboot the MMI and the presets comeback.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by q3newbie
I have a 2018 Q3 and get the disappearing SIRIUS stations after every update. An acquaintance of mine looked into it.
According to the engineers, the MMI system is a "LEGACY" system and they have no plans to fix.
I don't know how old the MMI system is but, it seems that 2012 and older Audis are experiencing the problem.
Evidently, the work around is to start a preset 20 since presets below this seem to be the issue.
I have this issue in all 3 of my cars with Sirius XM-2014 Audi S5, 2015 Wrangler, and 2013 Ford. It must be a Sirius XM software issue and not manufacturer hardware issue
Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

same here! I think it's a Sirius xm problem as I have noticed it in Ford as well.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I lose some of my pre-sets when Sirius does an update. I lose all of my pre-sets when the temp drops below 10 for a few days and the battery goes into power management mode
Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took my '15 S5 coupe in for some normal work and asked the dealership to check on the "loosing of presets" thing. Kind of funny... Audi does acknowledge that this happens from time to time... they tell dealerships to NOT to attempt a repair (e.g., fool with MMI firmware) and to simply tell the customer the following (shortened for brevity sake)...

- The loss of presets sometimes happens with an update of the Sirius system. It happens sometimes... other times it doesn't. Best they can tell is that there is something about the "timing of the update" of "certain" parts of the update that cause the loss of presets.

- In many cases, owners report that only presets 20 or higher get lost
(In my case... it is intermittent loss of presets 1 thru 7 - so go figure...)

Best I can tell, this has to be an Audi MMI thing because my Corvette and Acura don't loose their presets. There is no remedy that Audi can offer to customers. In my case, the bright side is that I only have to recreate 6-7 presets when they do go away.

Last edited by OlyS5; 02-21-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OlyS5
Took my '15 S5 coupe in for some normal work and asked the dealership to check on the "loosing of presets" thing. Kind of funny... Audi does acknowledge that this happens from time to time... they tell dealerships to NOT to attempt a repair (e.g., fool with MMI firmware) and to simply tell the customer the following (shortened for brevity sake)...

- The loss of presets sometimes happens with an update of the Sirius system. It happens sometimes... other times it doesn't. Best they can tell is that there is something about the "timing of the update" of "certain" parts of the update that cause the loss of presets.

- In many cases, owners report that only presets 20 or higher get lost
(In my case... it is intermittent loss of presets 1 thru 7 - so go figure...)

Best I can tell, this has to be an Audi MMI thing because my Corvette and Acura don't loose their presets. There is no remedy that Audi can offer to customers. In my case, the bright side is that I only have to recreate 6-7 presets when they do go away.
As others have stated in this thread, it does affect other manufacturers, not just Audi.

I lost all my Sirius/XM presets after an update on Monday this week--really annoying...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio keeps losing presets