Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Rpm fluctuation at constant speed and harsh takeoff 2.0T S Tronic

Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rpm fluctuation at constant speed and harsh takeoff 2.0T S Tronic

Hiya,

Have a 2010 2.0T S Tronic. Over the past couple months I have noticed the rpm fluctuates/hovers at constant speeds and takeoff is very harsh. It's like the clutch is dropping instead of slipping. I've done loads of research accross different forums and it seems to be a common problem but for most there is no solid answer. A few people said it was the Mechatronic solenoid or the unit itself. The car only has 60 000km's or 40k miles. A highly rated VAG garage had a look the other day and tried the following:

Checked for faults logged
Intake smoke test
Throttle body clean
Carry out basic settings (don't know what that means? reset ecu?)

They were all stumped and suggested I wait until the problem worsens and finally logs a fault and go from there. I can live with the rpm fluctuating but the harsh takeoff is horrible in traffic, like getting kicked up the *** every few metres.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions on what to do next. It's booked in for a Unitronic remap this week with another VAG garage and I mentioned the problem to them and it sounds like they want to check everything again themselves which I'm not real keen on paying them to do.

Also, I've been filling up at United petrol stations here in Aus as they're cheapest (always the highest octane) but yesterday I filled up with BP on an empty tank and the problem went away! smooth takeoff and no rpm fluc. I thought maybe it was just dirty fuel then but alas this morning the problem is back