Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 2011 Front tyre uneven wear

Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 2011 Front tyre uneven wear

Hi my 2011 RS5 (21,000 KM) on original tires, Bridgestone potenza s001 275/30 R20 has had to be returned to the dealers with uneven front tire wear. Very heavy wear on the inner side tread to sidewall to the point that the front left deflated within seconds ( thankfully just as i parked ). All four tires have approx 5mm tread depth. Car was driving very well and no undue pull or signs of tracking problems. Has anyone experienced this ?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RSfünf
Hi my 2011 RS5 (21,000 KM) on original tires, Bridgestone potenza s001 275/30 R20 has had to be returned to the dealers with uneven front tire wear. Very heavy wear on the inner side tread to sidewall to the point that the front left deflated within seconds ( thankfully just as i parked ). All four tires have approx 5mm tread depth. Car was driving very well and no undue pull or signs of tracking problems. Has anyone experienced this ?
Have same problem on my RS5 - 14500 miles on original tyres. Front left went first and now front right just punctured on inside wall where the tread has worn down to nothing. Car drives fine and rest of the tread is perfect. Did the dealer come up with an explanation?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Audi Rocks
Have same problem on my RS5 - 14500 miles on original tyres. Front left went first and now front right just punctured on inside wall where the tread has worn down to nothing. Car drives fine and rest of the tread is perfect. Did the dealer come up with an explanation?
Hi Audi Rocks, yes the dealer was very good in fact, they took away the car, replaced both front tyres, checked tracking ( which was out of tolerance but only by a fraction ) and then checked the tyre pressure indicating system which i assume tested ok. The tyres are being sent to Bridgestone for evaluation and i expect to hear the result in the comming week or so. I have attached a pic of the front left hand tyre after it deflated, the tread wear remaining was 4mm and even wear accross the tyre. The on close inspection with the trye removed the inner sidewall to tread area, approx 6 to 8 mm showed a chamfer which had effectivly eaten into the tyre causing the blowout. I am basiclly monitoring my tyres now on a weekly basis and constantly checking tyre pressures as the issue maybe related to tyre pressure. Saying that i never drove the car with lower than recommened tyre pressures but there is not much else it can be. Can you advise what is your current situation and do you have pics ?
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi RSfünf
My dealer checked the car's alignment and both fronts were out only slightly along with one of the rears. As I have not hit any kerbs since owning the car I find it strange that the geometry would go out by itself. The dealer covered the cost of the alignment but I had to pay for the two new tyres Unfortunately both tyres have been scrapped so I have no photos but the dealer did see the second one that was wrecked in exactly the same way as yours.
Personally I think it's a problem with the car but as there are very few of us experiencing the same problem, it's hard to prove. Please let me know what Bridgestone come back with.
Both my tyres deflated when I was driving so could have been lethal in the wrong conditions.
I will keep an eye on the new tyres and pressures to make sure this does not happen again.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

Hi folks.

I found this forum by goggling "Audi RS5 tyre wear."

I've got the same problem on my 2011 RS5. The left hand front tyre went down last night and I nearly cut my hand to ribbons when I felt the inside of the tyre. 10,000 miles....

It was only in Audi last week having the petrol cap replaced and the boot catch too.....

I'm confused because my old A5 3.0TDI Sport did exactly the same thing too, is it a fault on the 5 series?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you have your tires rotated ?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like too much toe in.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 S5 and the exact same thing happened to me this week. My front right tire went out at 23k km. I nearly tore my fingers off when I tried to dismount it. It was totally worn out on the inside and almost new treads on the outside. Te dealer in the UAE did nothing but insist on me to pay for a new tire.
Now, I'm worried about the front left. It is exhibiting same wear pattern. Anyone figured what causes this and how we can avoid it?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSfünf
If you're the RSfunf from AudiZine, how did you put 21,000 KM on your car so quickly? You've had the car less than 2 months, right?

Edit: never mind; just noticed you said 2011 RS5, so you're not he. Pretty funny the two of you picked the same screen name.

Last edited by DOC; 12-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bayass
I have a 2011 S5 and the exact same thing happened to me this week. My front right tire went out at 23k km. I nearly tore my fingers off when I tried to dismount it. It was totally worn out on the inside and almost new treads on the outside. Te dealer in the UAE did nothing but insist on me to pay for a new tire.
Now, I'm worried about the front left. It is exhibiting same wear pattern. Anyone figured what causes this and how we can avoid it?
Hi, ok my advice would be to remove the front left and examine the sidewalls internally. I would also recommend having a spare tyre to hand as you will probably find it is not good.

The damage is most likley from low tyre pressure , the resulting heat build up due to friction causes the tyre to degrade at the most acute angle of the sidewall which is the weakest part of the tyre.

The tyres behave fine if you check the pressures regulary and i keep mine inflated close to the maximum, i have over 40000 km on the rear tyres now ( close to being changed ) and over 19000km on the fronts with no problems since the dual failure which was my origional post.

Best of luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS5 2011 Front tyre uneven wear