Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Brakes on a S5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 Brakes on a S5?

I was watching some videos on youtube earlier today and came across a video of someone who put an RS5 front brake set up on a S4 and it sparked my interest and got me wondering if this was possible to do on a S5. I would assume so, but just wanted to hear other peoples opinion on this.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You can do it, but considering that many of us RS5 owners felt that the OEM brakes could use an upgrade I don't think it's the best course of action. The RS5 brakes are a good start, but the rotors and pads can be improved. You can get something better for less money. The caliper is not bad, but if you put it on an S, you need to upgrade the master cylinder. It's not big enough to properly handle 8 pistons. Some RS5 owners have had problems with the OEM rotors and pads and as said you can get better aftermarket rotors and pads for less money. I'm very happy with my current setup, but I'm using ECS rotors and Hawk 5.0 pads and SS lines as well as better fluid.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also something to consider is the different diameter! My RS5 has 20in rims and I don't think the S5 Stock 19in rims would fit over the RS calipers. So, add a set of 20in rims into your calculations. Another thing to consider is that the RS5's don't come with a spare tire! The largest spare that Audi makes is a 19in (I think) and it wont fit over the front brakes...so the car comes with everything except the compact spare. I however bought a 19in spare that I will only mount on the rear axle if needed. If I get a flat in the front, I'll just swap a good rim from the back to the front and then put the spare on the rear.

Leif
Old 08-26-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The RS5 also came with a 19" wheel option so they'll fit just fine. The 6-pot Porsche caliper they use on the carbon ceramic disk option is a better caliper. It's the same setup used on the Hurican.

You're better off with something like this. These are the same Porsche 19Z calipers mentioned above but without the insulated pistons like on the ceramic-equipped cars. Also has a nice large 380x38mm rotor. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...755ecs01a01kt/
Old 08-26-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
The RS5 also came with a 19" wheel option so they'll fit just fine. The 6-pot Porsche caliper they use on the carbon ceramic disk option is a better caliper. It's the same setup used on the Hurican.

You're better off with something like this. These are the same Porsche 19Z calipers mentioned above but without the insulated pistons like on the ceramic-equipped cars. Also has a nice large 380x38mm rotor. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...755ecs01a01kt/
Interesting...so then why no spare tire? I think its kind of silly to not have a spare and not be running run-flats! I used my spare once in my previous S5 and was really glad to have it at 2AM when I had a catastrophic loss of pressure when I ran over some small piece of steel on the hwy! I mean, when I asked the dealer why no spare, their reply was something along the lines of "...when you're driving an [expensive] car like that and you have trouble, you call Audi Roadside for help". Personally, no way I'm gonna sit on the side of the hwy at 2AM for probably hours before a tow truck comes and then realizes they need to resend a flatbed etc etc, blah blah blah. That night I had the blow out I changed that tire in less than 10 minutes (I think 7 actually) while wearing white pants. Not a smudge later was I home in 15 minutes with the space saver spare! If the 19in spare really does fit, and I'd be really happy if it does, I highly suggest all RS5 owners...at least those capable of changing their own tires, go out and buy a spare like I did and toss it in the trunk where it fit perfectly!

Leif
Old 08-26-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Meh, I just did a 3,000 mile road trip with nothing more than a Slime tire repair kit. I bought one with an air compressor forgetting the RS5 already has one. I also had a tire plug kit just in case along with a torque wrench and a battery powered mini impact gun. But yeah, if i really damage a tire, I'm screwed.

But the spare is a good idea. Will have to see if it'll match the diameter of my other tires. Running 285's so they're a hair taller than the 275's.