Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Driven =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 Driven =)

I tested a basic packaged RS5 over the weekend at a Frankfurt dealer in Germany and to be honest I didn't quite feel much of a difference with my S5, all I can say is that it feels more like the BMW850i V12 i tested many years ago in the sense of the engine pulling and pulling endlessly. Only when cornering hard or passing other cars, RS5 felt like it was on rails with tons of grip, a bit extra grip from my S5 i would say but the interior is what impressed me about with all that extra aluminum details, thick and grip steeing wheel and this was a basic model though without MMI or tech gadgets but had recaro alcantara seats which by the way are very unconfortable for daily drivers and yes, you can buy RS5 very basic equipped or spend another 15,000 euros in options, just the ceramic brakes cost around 4000euros, anyhow, we did 35kmts in Autobahnen and hit 287km/h, so effortlessly and for like a 30seconds and we were only passed by a Carrera GT that he/she might have been doing +300km/h, you have to love these roads, no holes, total control with 4WD. One thing I didn't like is the ESP going on and off after been dissengaged. Overall I loved the ride but not so sure is subtancialy better than my S5 in performance but only in handling perhaps if it would have been a Manual, so much electronics are taking the sportiveness and freedom these days. I would jump from S5 to R8 V10 but not to RS5. Will post pics i took when my friend arrives.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by polishS5
I tested a basic packaged RS5 over the weekend at a Frankfurt dealer in Germany and to be honest I didn't quite feel much of a difference with my S5, all I can say is that it feels more like the BMW850i V12 i tested many years ago in the sense of the engine pulling and pulling endlessly. Only when cornering hard or passing other cars, RS5 felt like it was on rails with tons of grip, a bit extra grip from my S5 i would say but the interior is what impressed me about with all that extra aluminum details, thick and grip steeing wheel and this was a basic model though without MMI or tech gadgets but had recaro alcantara seats which by the way are very unconfortable for daily drivers and yes, you can buy RS5 very basic equipped or spend another 15,000 euros in options, just the ceramic brakes cost around 4000euros, anyhow, we did 35kmts in Autobahnen and hit 287km/h, so effortlessly and for like a 30seconds and we were only passed by a Carrera GT that he/she might have been doing +300km/h, you have to love these roads, no holes, total control with 4WD. One thing I didn't like is the ESP going on and off after been dissengaged. Overall I loved the ride but not so sure is subtancialy better than my S5 in performance but only in handling perhaps if it would have been a Manual, so much electronics are taking the sportiveness and freedom these days. I would jump from S5 to R8 V10 but not to RS5. Will post pics i took when my friend arrives.
So, that settles it I'm going down tomorrow to the dealership to put my deposit down on the R8 V10. But, the more I think about it, maybe I should just trade my s5 for the Veyron. What do you guys think? I mean I feel like I really shouldn't half a$$ it, I should really be about it if I'm going for a true sport car?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acadia
So, that settles it I'm going down tomorrow to the dealership to put my deposit down on the R8 V10. But, the more I think about it, maybe I should just trade my s5 for the Veyron. What do you guys think? I mean I feel like I really shouldn't half a$$ it, I should really be about it if I'm going for a true sport car?

um?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gd10
um?
i think it was sarcasm

you know - the jump rom an S5 to a V10 R8 is not so small!!!!!!!!

I got it
Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polishS5
Anyone with the means would jump from and S5 to a R8 V10, that's a no brainer. Sounds like the RS5 will start at about 1/2 of a R8 V10. The question is RS5 vs M3 vs porsche and other cars in the price range. Comparing to R8 V10 isn't much help.

That being said, I'm really jealous you got to drive the RS5 already.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mik34
Anyone with the means would jump from and S5 to a R8 V10, that's a no brainer. Sounds like the RS5 will start at about 1/2 of a R8 V10. The question is RS5 vs M3 vs porsche and other cars in the price range. Comparing to R8 V10 isn't much help.

That being said, I'm really jealous you got to drive the RS5 already.
i would take the RS5 over M3 based simply on looks and the rareness factor it will have in the usa.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think he probably meant USED V8 R8. That route would still be a no brainer to me.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gd10
i would take the RS5 over M3 based simply on looks and the rareness factor it will have in the usa.
I couldn't agree more. Performance aside, the RS5 is way better looking than an M3 both inside and out. It will definitely be more of a rare sight than an M3 too, and it can be driven all year round!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more I hear about the RS5 the less I'm sure I want one. I'm happy with my S5, but would like some more HP, and I do like the idea of the S-Tronic. My S5 is the Monday thru Thursday car, and the R8 is the Friday and Saturday car. I'll probably stick with what I have.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i still think this car is going to surprise a few. i'm willing to guess that we will see numbers like 4.1/12.6 on the streets.

audi has been understating quite a bit lately.....

Quick Reply: RS5 Driven =)