Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Dynamic setting looses sport exhaust sound on restart?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS5 Dynamic setting looses sport exhaust sound on restart?

So, on my car when I select dynamic driving mode OR Individual mode with the Exhaust to "Dynamic" (loud) mode, all works as expected...UNTIL I cycle the ignition. Upon restart, all settings seem to remain EXCEPT the dynamic exhaust setting. To re-enable the Dynamic Exhaust on restart I simply have to just open the Car menu (that shows the different drive select modes). I DO NOT have to actually select anything, just open the main window. As soon as that Car appears with the modes below, the exhaust gets loud again! This seems like a software glitch to me. Can anyone else confirm or debunk this?

Leif
Old 08-23-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That is by design. The transmission will also revert back to D and won't stay in S. That's all due to regulations. The car is required to start up in the most fuel efficient mode and as quiet as possible. Europe has stricter noise regulations than other parts of the world.

If you pull on the shift lever once more after putting it in D, it will go into S and also open the exhaust valves.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Interesting. My manual trans S5 doesn’t revert to standard settings when shut down. Just stays in dynamic. That’s nice because rev matching is only on when in dynamic. I still blip on downshifts most of the time out of habit but it’s nice to not have to If I’m lazy.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 08-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Interesting. My manual trans S5 doesn’t revert to standard settings when shut down. Just stays in dynamic. That’s nice because rev matching is only on when in dynamic. I still blip on downshifts most of the time out of habit but it’s nice to not have to If I’m lazy.
The automatics stay in Dynamic, too or whatever mode you left it, so steering, suspension etc. is still in Dynamic, but the transmission, engine and exhaust revert back to normal mode. With the manual transmission not having an equivalent to a sport mode, it works a little different. It was never clear to me, though, if the throttle map reverts back to normal if you have a manual transmission, but ultimately fuel efficiency with a manual transmission comes down to the driver and their shifting style.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, thank you very much for that information. My car spent 4 days in service while they tried to figure that out but in the end they just said they don't know why!

So, next question is: Can these settings be changed using a VAGCOM tool? Anyone know the parameters by chance? If I leave the car in a setting, I'd like it to stay in that setting!

Leif