AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   RS5 - New Driver. Questions with the car. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/rs5-new-driver-questions-car-2914103/)

ken11214 02-07-2017 08:25 PM

RS5 - New Driver. Questions with the car.

Hi

My name is Ken, I just bought a used 2014 RS5. I have a few question regarding the car. First, I realize that there is a round/circle thing on the passenger side of the bottom front bumper. You might think it is a fog light, but that round thing is only on the passenger side. I assume that might be the sensor from the diver assist package. Second, how do you set the digital speed display on the middle of the dash where you check your gas consumption. Third, is there a way to tilt or adjust the steering wheel? I can not find any buttons or gauges for it. And lastly, how come there is like 2 second engine start delay? When I press the brakes and hit the start engine button, the engine takes about 2 second to start, shouldn't it be instantly? It ticks for about 2 second or so. I have 2 years of audi car package and 5 years of extended factory bumper to bumper warranty if that helps. It would be helpful if someone from the community can assist.

BlackOptic 02-07-2017 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ken11214 (Post 24919338)
Hi

My name is Ken, I just bought a used 2014 RS5. I have a few question regarding the car. First, I realize that there is a round/circle thing on the passenger side of the bottom front bumper. You might think it is a fog light, but that round thing is only on the passenger side. I assume that might be the sensor from the diver assist package. Second, how do you set the digital speed display on the middle of the dash where you check your gas consumption. Third, is there a way to tilt or adjust the steering wheel? I can not find any buttons or gauges for it. And lastly, how come there is like 2 second engine start delay? When I press the brakes and hit the start engine button, the engine takes about 2 second to start, shouldn't it be instantly? It ticks for about 2 second or so. I have 2 years of audi car package and 5 years of extended factory bumper to bumper warranty if that helps. It would be helpful if someone from the community can assist.

1. Cover plate to get to the towing connector. The cover pops off and you screw in a towing eye.
2. There is a button under the right hand wiper control to change display
3. The tilt is a manual lever that pulls down, in the middle of the steering column about an arm length down. Can feel unnaturaly hard to pull down.
4. I have a diesel, and there what you could perceive as a two sec delay.

WuMu-tien 02-08-2017 02:43 AM

Audi 2014 RS5 Documentation

Ken,

It sounds like you have no Audi documentation. If so, might I suggest three quick sources to help? Audi has an iPad app, Audi Library, that will let you access 2014 RS5 user documentation.

Secondly, if you are a DIY proponent, purchase a short-term subscription to Audi's ERWIN US Portal to access documentation used by technicians. The wiring diagrams are especially useful, but the site also offers technical notes as well as step by step "How to fix" guides. The ERWIN URL is https://erwin.audiusa.com

Lastly, registering yourself and your Audi on the MyAudi site https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi#/ is helpful as well for OEM parts access and AudiConnect, if you have purchased a SIM card for the RS5's access point. (Assuming the S5 came with that option. I drive a 2014 RS7 and the car came with that feature.)

Enjoy your new ride!

plat27265 02-08-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ken11214 (Post 24919338)
Hi

Congratulations on your new '14 RS5!

1. That fog light looking thing on the passenger side bottom front bumper is the radar sensor for the ACC or Adaptive Cruise Control.

2. If by set, you mean reset the trip meter, ave. consumption, ave. speed, etc. Go to the Trip #1 or Trip #2 display on the DIS (digital display in the middle of the dash is called DIS or Driver Info System), press and hold the RESET button on the wiper control stalk at the right side of the steering wheel. The reset button is the same button you use to scroll through the different menu items on the DIS. The small rocker switch at the tip of the wiper control stalk scrolls you through the sub-menus of the car's trip information screens.

3. The lever for adjusting the steering wheel is there. Look on the underside of the steering wheel and follow the lower cover all the way down and you'll see it.

4. It should not take too long for the engine to crank after pressing the start button. My S5 starts within a second after pressing the button. Maybe it is different with RS5's. I will let RS5 owners chime in on this issue.

Do you have your RS5's Owners Manual? If yes, it is best to read up on how to operate and use its various features. If not, you can go to Audi Online Owner's Manual , plug in your car's VIN and read the electronic copy of your Owners Manual online. You can print it out as a PDF, too.

superswiss 02-08-2017 08:26 AM

This 2 second engine start delay was news to me. Never noticed anything like this in the four years I've owned mine, so I actually paid attention this morning during cold start and then later during a warm start. There is virtually no delay. On cold start there's a brief delay where you can hear what I believe are the fuel injectors squirting some fuel into the cold cylinders and then it immediately cranks. On warm start it cranks immediately. The gauge needles haven't even finished the sweep by the time the engine fires up.

eric strauss 02-08-2017 08:46 AM

Congratulations...

Late to the party and I see and you already gotten great info from the folks here at the site. Please stay involved and join the fun...

I too, have no delay on start-up, in either the RS5 or S4. However, both my daughter's and colleagues VW Jettas have the curious 2 second pause after pushing the button to start the car. Similar VAG systems...hmm.

I hope you enjoy the beast as it will feel unlike other "modern" performance cars with forced induction. The power builds in a linear fashion and just keeps pulling. Most folks aren't used to winding an engine out past 6000rpm, but that's where the RS5 really comes alive :-)

When in the canyons, I set the mode to "Dynamic" and transmission in Manual mode - its a delight. otherwise I generally leave it in Sport mode on the transmission, but bear in mind that in that mode, 7th great is locked out. So, on long highway stretches I need to put it back in Drive mode to get top gear.

Try not to think about the fuel mileage ;-)

Please post a picture! If you are in the LA area and want to join a weekend drive, just send me a message on the PM side of the site.

Happy Motoring

Eric

mhblaw 02-09-2017 08:00 AM

My '13 RS5 turned 4 years yesterday. Minus 11 this morning here in ND and no delay on start up in my cold garage.

Grisho 02-14-2017 10:40 PM

Hey Ken, congrats on the Audi mate!
Eric, awesome to hear that you go in the canyons on the weekends in an Audi... like me. I'll send you a message.