Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 s-tronic

Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 s-tronic

How does the S-Tronic behave on the RS5 in dynamic mode?
Does it keep the RPM above a certain level?
Does it provide engine braking?
Will it change to a lower gear by itself in manual mode if the gas pedal is floored (hits kickdown button)?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Like automatic. No comparison to m3's DCT at all.
In S mode it revs to 6k or so before changing gears... Then rev matches it when slowing down.
Yes
Yes.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

How does the S-Tronic behave on the RS5 in dynamic mode? That's a loaded question. You've got to be more specific. Auto mode or manual mode, shift speed or what are you asking about?

Does it keep the RPM above a certain level? Assuming you mean in Auto and Sport (Dynamic), then it keeps the rpms above 3k and depending on how you drive shifts anywhere between 3.5k and redline.

Does it provide engine braking? Yes

Will it change to a lower gear by itself in manual mode if the gas pedal is floored (hits kickdown button)? Yes, if you actually trigger the kickdown button, but you'll never trigger it inadvertently. There's quite a resistance and you have to really punch it through to actually trigger the kickdown button.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Boostinfd
Like automatic. No comparison to m3's DCT at all.
In S mode it revs to 6k or so before changing gears... Then rev matches it when slowing down.
Yes
Yes.
What do u mean by no comparison to M3's DCT?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Also, just to be clear. The S-tronic doesn't have a dynamic mode. This part confuses most people, even the ones that own the car. The S-tronic has four modes. Drive Auto, Drive Manual, Sport Auto and Sport Manual. When you put Drive Select in Dynamic it puts the transmission in Sport, but at any time you can put it back to Drive and in fact if you turn off the engine and restart it, the transmission will be back in Drive. Drive vs. Sport affects the throttle map, shift speed and shift points. Many people don't realize that having Drive Select in Dynamic mode and the transmission in Drive Auto/Manual doesn't give you the most aggressive throttle map and shift speeds. You actually have to put the transmission in Sport Auto or Manual to get the aggressive throttle map and shift speeds.
How do you select between "Drive" and "Sport" while in manual mode? In auto mode clicking the shift **** down will toggle but in manual mode it will... downshift. Also, what indicator is there that you are in "Sport Manual" vs "Drive Manual"?

I have an S5 so I'm curious as to how it's handled differently in the RS5. When I go to manual mode, the throttle mapping, as well as rev-matching mirrors that of "Sport Auto" and it doesn't matter if I started in D or S before.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dani_x
What do u mean by no comparison to M3's DCT?
My previous car was e92 M3 with DCT. I loved that transmission. The 6 settings, the gear changing... no bucking and jerking... it was just smooth and nice.

S-Tronic... it's like an automatic with Tiptronic paddles. It's so jerky when coming to a stop, downshifting... The only time is smooth is if you're changing gears around 6-8K rpm.

Just my opinion based on the way I drive.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blinsc
How do you select between "Drive" and "Sport" while in manual mode? In auto mode clicking the shift **** down will toggle but in manual mode it will... downshift. Also, what indicator is there that you are in "Sport Manual" vs "Drive Manual"?

I have an S5 so I'm curious as to how it's handled differently in the RS5. When I go to manual mode, the throttle mapping, as well as rev-matching mirrors that of "Sport Auto" and it doesn't matter if I started in D or S before.
I believe, when you switch to Dynamic, the car goes in the S-Auto Mode... if you go from S-auto to manual, that's S-Manual... if you go back to S, push down for D-Auto Mode... then right to Manual, That's D-Manual.

I haven't noticed any changes from S or D manual..
Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe, when you switch to Dynamic, the car goes in the S-Auto Mode... if you go from S-auto to manual, that's S-Manual... if you go back to S, push down for D-Auto Mode... then right to Manual, That's D-Manual.

Huh. I'll have to check that out. My car is always in Dynamic, but of course it starts in D mode. What I do know for certain is that the dash indicator only shows D, S, or MX where X is the current gear.

The S5 doesn't have the same S-tronic as the RS5 so maybe that's the difference here.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blinsc
dash indicator only shows D, S, or MX where X is the current gear.
fyi, a neat VAG-COM tweak for DIS, shows the current gear even in D and S, like the M mode does.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

To go to S manual, you first go to S Auto and then over to manual. If you don't feel a difference between the two modes, then you are not driving the car hard enough. The transmission mode overrides the current Drive Select setting for engine/transmission. If the transmission is in Sport auto/manual, the engine/transmission is in dynamic. If the transmission is in D auto/manual, the engine/transmission is in comfort/auto, regardless of what your current Drive Select says. There's a noticeable difference in throttle response down low if you are in D manual vs. S manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS5 s-tronic