Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 - 4.2L or 3.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S5 - 4.2L or 3.0L?

I am looking at a 2011 S5, 4.2L auto with low miles 70K Kilometers or 44K miles.... question is.... should I shell out a little more and get the SC 3.0L which is easily chipped for more HP or go old school with the V8. Honestly, if the 2011 was a 6 speed, I wouldn't be here.... To go newer is going to cost me $5-10K more.... this is a toy, not my Daily! What I don't get is the VIN search shows the MSRP at $66K and I honestly don't know why... most of them are closer to $60K.... I can PM you the VIN if you are interested... Cheers...
Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '15 3.0 SC coupe -- loaded to the gills -- and love the engine/drive-train -- especially when in Dynamic/Sport mode. When I bought mine, it had 24K miles, ~50% of it's factory warranty and the unused portion of an Audicare maintenance package. (The car was not CPO.) I paid under $38K for it so the prices you're posting sure seem high.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uraniumheart
I have a 2010 S5 (V8 6MT). Even without your V8 option being standard trans, there really is no substitute for an 8cyl engine. Some people I'm sure prefer the forced induction, so drive them both yourself if you can, but there is a reason you hear us croon about old fashioned NA engines

Update: I tend to agree with you and that is exactly the way I went as well..... gotta love the V8 growl.... I am not displeased with the auto transmission either.... it's fun to drive in dynamic with the paddle shifters... I couldn't be happier!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

The V8 has a great sound! I still miss it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am thinking about a JHM tune.... I go back and forth on it. Reviews seem like people like it. I don't expect great HP gains but responsiveness and additional low gear torque seem to be the result. After all, I have more fun between 0-60 that anywhere else....

It's not a cheap mod... damn near $1000 here in Canada.... But because we have colder air we probably get better performance... hahahaha....
Old 03-16-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2

Living on an Island in the chuck is going to limit any sort of sustained high speed/rpm driving unless you get to the Island Highway to let her open every week or so?
Other then that, and at your current 70k kms, I would seriously look into getting a walnut shell carbon cleaning first. The 4.2L is especially susceptible to carbon build up and even more so for you simply because of where you live and the limitations it presents. I would lay good odds that after you get a walnut shell (blasting) carbon cleaning you may have second thoughts about wanting or thinking you need a JHM tune. You're going to find that you'll recoup a bucketload of HP and torque not to mention better gas mileage and a smoother idle along with much easier cold morning starts.
Get the carbon cleaning done first and then decide about the JHM tune.

Last edited by jschrauwen; 03-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Have you done the carbon cleaning? if so, what did it cost you? I talked to an Indy shop here (Victoria) before I bought the car about that.....they drove the car and didn't think it was an issue.....
Old 03-16-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

This person said that with his newly acquired 4.2L it should get a walnut shell carbon cleaning done every 35k miles. He did his at the 44k miles at it looked past due.

This is the follow up to his original video.
*EDIT* I would not replace the coilpacks just on spec. There are much cheaper injector seal kits out there then what he's saying they cost and having your injectors sent out to be cleaned and flow tested is not expensive either. I'm sure there's plenty of places in Victoria or the mainland that can do that.

If you noticed, he used a port adapter for the media blaster nozzle which makes short work of carbon cleaning.
This port adapter is made by an Audizine forum member and I made lots of Audiworld threads on this if you want more info on it.

Find yourself a shop in Victoria or the Mainland (but not a dealership because they don't do walnut shell carbon cleaning) that has an Audi qualified tech.
I went to my local euro shop guy who is Audi certified and I struck a deal with him. I bought 2 of those carbon cleaning port adapters ($30EA) and a media blasting machine from Princess Auto (($99CDN) along with a 50LB bag of walnut shell media from Princess Auto ($40CDN) and gave it all to my Audi shop guy. Inreturn I got a free carbon cleaning and they get to keep the carbon cleaning equipment. The key thing was using their compressor as my small home utility one isn't powerful enough and doesn't have a moisture separator whereas his shop does. A fair trade-off in my opinion. He was able to carbon clean 6 more engines before he ran out of walnut shells. That port adaptor is good for the all VW/Audi engines made in the last 12 years that are direct injected (2.0T, 3.0T, 4.2L, 3.2L, 5.2L, 4.0T, etc etc)

This is my carbon cleaning from that shop using that port adaptor.

Last edited by jschrauwen; 03-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-...eaning-b8.html

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-cost-2954577/
Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Problem with the V8 is it is normally aspirated. You really can't get much if any power boost. Going Catless might get you a couple of bhp but that's it. With the 3.0t you can get over 50~80bhp fairly easily with software and a pulley. No real weight difference between manual to manual or S-tronic to S-tronic. Supercharger and extra plumbing bring the 3.0t up to about the same weight as the 4.2.
Now if you throw a low boost Supercharger kit on the 4.2 then you're talking.