AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   S5 - 4.2L or 3.0L? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/s5-4-2l-3-0l-2962045/)

gozins 03-21-2019 05:14 AM

I have S4 2007 with V8 and 2014 S5 with APR stage 1...Both are great cars both with auto. The S5 V6 with chip is way more fun! But the sound of a burbling fire breathing V8 is great!
I paid 31K for my 2014 with 8500 miles on it...

tjf 03-21-2019 07:50 AM

I don't know that I need more power than what the V8 puts out for a car of this weight. Maybe if I planned on tracking it, but it is plenty fast for the street. I can break the tires loose and accelerate about as fast as I can row it through the gears. ...and it sounds really great while doing it. What more do I need?

DHS 03-23-2019 04:15 PM

A disagreement over a patch of road with a deer here in rural Maine ended my time with the best car I have ever, and may ever, own. It was a red '09 S5, V8 with stick. I put around 206,000 miles on that car. And enjoyed every moment of it. The tranny and engine are perfectly paired. The style of the car is flawless - the favorite design of DaSilva who brought it to life. Personally, I think that this original version is the purest, and its successors were variations necessitated by marketing realities. That engine was a symphony of mechanical sound. Throaty, deep, menacing and unmistakable. People knew me by that car. When the appraiser came to do the post mortem, he could not believe it was 10 years old. I bought it in 2011 because I knew it was likely my last chance to find a car like this. And I do miss it. If you have a chance to own such a car, even with the auto, take it. It won't likely come around again.

jschrauwen 03-23-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DHS (Post 25293407)
A disagreement over a patch of road with a deer here in rural Maine ended my time with the best car I have ever, and may ever, own. It was a red '09 S5, V8 with stick. I put around 206,000 miles on that car. And enjoyed every moment of it. The tranny and engine are perfectly paired. The style of the car is flawless - the favorite design of DaSilva who brought it to life. Personally, I think that this original version is the purest, and its successors were variations necessitated by marketing realities. That engine was a symphony of mechanical sound. Throaty, deep, menacing and unmistakable. People knew me by that car. When the appraiser came to do the post mortem, he could not believe it was 10 years old. I bought it in 2011 because I knew it was likely my last chance to find a car like this. And I do miss it. If you have a chance to own such a car, even with the auto, take it. It won't likely come around again.

That's a damn shame. I hope you're able to (or will) replace it with another equally reliable B8 4.2L S5 (auto or stick).

KevinGary 03-24-2019 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by DHS (Post 25293407)

i am glad that you are ok. It is a shame to lose a car with a v8 and manual transmission, they are becoming a vanishing breed.