AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   The S5 on ice - whew close call (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/s5-ice-whew-close-call-2841421/)

ayap 01-25-2013 09:03 PM

The S5 on ice - whew close call

Today was the first time I drove the S5 while snowing and the road turning to ice.
In NC, we don't get much snow, and if it snows, its about 1 - 4 inches thick.
I drove from NC to VA Beach - nearly a 250 mile drive, and boy the summer tires were lousy on ice.

The forecast was that we'd get around 1 inch of snow.
What I didn't expect was the weather staying at around 23-25 F
creating icy roads and sleet on the road from NC to VA.
The windshield was also building ice fast and thick, so I had to stop in a gas station to get a spray-on de-icer (which actually worked)

On my 250 mile journey, I saw at least 30 cars/SUVs skid through the side, stuck on a deep ditch, banged up really bad or turned around and hit the side rails on highway. I saw 1-car, 2-cars, 3-cars, 4-car accidents on several separate occasions. Cars were driving 15 - 35 MPH. It was pretty scary.

I had a couplee of close calls.

- A big trailer truck out of nowhere suddenly cross less than 200 feet away and my brakes didn't work too well on icy roads. Good thing the S5 stopped on time but it was vibrating due to the slippery road. My wife was bracing for impact.

- When I exited a road to merge onto a highway, I had to do a 270 degree turn and the turn was ice slippery. For a moment, the left rear of the S5 slip, but the sports differential kicked in and got me back in control in about 3 seconds. And there was a huge truck incoming on the merging road. Whew!

- On highway 58 going to VA Beach, there's a sharp road curving about 40 degrees, and the left lane was full of ice on the curve. I temporarily lose control while on that curve, and a few seconds later, I saw the car in front of me swerving to the ditch on the left. I thought I was going to follow the same route. Gladly, the front wheels held on and kept the course straight and the rear wheels gained some momentum.

I reached my destination safe and sound with slush under my S5 and my front hood all frozen and iced-up. Several people were just not lucky. It's really crazy driving on ice, the ESP warning comes up every now and then.

MonzaA5 01-26-2013 08:14 AM

Let me guess: summer tires?

JD15 01-26-2013 08:57 AM

Prepare to get lectured about driving in snow with summer tires. It is certainly not safe, but I can understand leaving summer tires on all year round in NC. However, in the future, you either want to switch to all-seasons for the winter, or drive a different car if there is a chance of snow.

Tifosi 01-26-2013 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ayap (Post 24400083)
I drove from NC to VA Beach - nearly a 250 mile drive, and boy the summer tires were lousy on ice.

But at least the V8 got you great milage.

Good to see that you made the trip safe and sound. Now, go and have your wife slap you upside the head and say, "What the !@&@$&*&*(!@$&*()!@$&) were you thinking ?????!!!!!"

MonzaA5 01-26-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 24400199)
Prepare to get lectured about driving in snow with summer tires. It is certainly not safe, but I can understand leaving summer tires on all year round in NC. However, in the future, you either want to switch to all-seasons for the winter, or drive a different car if there is a chance of snow.

And a well deserved lecture it would be. Anyone who decides to take a 250 mile road trip on summer tires in snowy/icy conditions is an absolute moron. This kind of behavior is on par with drinking and driving in terms of being a hazard not just to yourself but other drivers as well.

Force-1 01-26-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MonzaA5 (Post 24400176)
Let me guess: summer tires?

RIF

Force-1 01-26-2013 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 24400199)

http://images.corvetteforum.com/imag...ies/iagree.gif

I leave OEM summer tires on my S5 year round, and won't drive it if there is even a remote possibility of snow/ice conditions.

Fithian 01-26-2013 04:36 PM

If the temperature is under 40° summer tires are not safe. Take another car.

Bader.Abbas 01-26-2013 11:54 PM

thats a long drive while snowing!!
I really recommend getting all season or even better winter tires.
better safe than sorry! you already had a few close calls. Becareful please!

KarlFEvans 01-27-2013 02:31 AM

Empirical evidence that S5 with summer tires is dangerous.

I would suspect this would occur based on my early days with my X5 on Michelin Diamaris on 19s. (Tried driving in November to the gym with an inch of snow on the road. Immediately installed by winter rims)