Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 V8 suspension & differential questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 V8 suspension & differential questions

Looking for some feedback, I’m looking at adding a S5 V8 to the family pool, be a general DD and will probably be an auto so my wife and daughter can drive it. I am looking at spending around $15k so will be in the 80k+ mile range generally, 2008-2010 cars. Having looked through the posts on the forum its encouraging to see few posts generally relating to issues (I also have a S8 V10, so understand the value of these forums to fix it J). I do all my own maintenance and repairs generally don’t take my cars to dealers.

I have a couple of questions:

1. With the drive system looks like you get active dampers, do the non drive system cars have standard dampers?, which leads to the question with higher miles is the drive system worth the added complexity and potential repair costs?
2. Is there a simple way when inspecting the cars to tell if it has the sport differential?, I like the feature but don’t see many people listing it in used car advertisements, I would guess some used car dealers would not even know if its fitted to a car.

Other than that I am relatively comfortable with the rest of the car and its potential issues, I know the carbon build up is an issue, I undertook that on my S8. Glad to see timing chains don’t seem to affect the S5 engine. And generally they look pretty reliable.

Appreciate any feedback that you have.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

The sure way to identify the sport diff is to look for it. It it’s pretty easy to identify and recognize with its external hydraulic pump and hydraulic lines attached. https://goo.gl/images/p2FcA1
I would suggest asking to inspect any used car on a lift before making a deal. There can be issues hiding under there.
You can find the sport diff option in the MMI - Drive Select under Individual - Settings. I keep my sport differential set to dynamic under the individual settings. And you are correct you do want the sport differential :-) Good Luck!

Last edited by J. Patterson; 11-06-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bear in mind Sport Diff is 2010 or later, in your price range that's probably pushing your budget because a car with ADS + Sport Diff + less than 100K miles is definitely going to be more than 15K. I just bought what I consider to be a truly fantastic '09, totally loaded but no Sport Diff. In the end I was realistic about the way I drive and knew it would serve no purpose other than bragging rights, and I'm glad I was honest with myself because I am completely in love with this car, and it already came with a lowered suspension, AWE Track exhaust (the best part about it), 6MT, phenomenal condition, Brilliant Red over Alcantara, and less than 60K on the clock with a recent carbon cleaning. I'd have gotten none of that if I held out for an option I'd have no use for. Full disclosure I did pay well over 15K though.

Teach your wife and daughter to drive a stick!
Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

FWIW. A friend of mine had a 2008 manual trans S5. I never drove it but he told me it had sport diff. He was president of our AUDI Club chapter. He should know.