Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Shift Into 2nd Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift Into 2nd Issue

So, did some searching, couldn't find much info so I figured I'd ask.

I have a '13 S5, manual, and rarely, not consistent, and not often, the shift from first to second doesn't happen. It feels like when moving the stick it just slams into a wall. There's no grinding noise, no smell, no nothing...it's like it just won't go. At times I've let off the clutch fully, pressed it back in, and then it'll go into second, but that doesn't always work. When this issue does occur I'll go from first to third (and up the stack) and then when slowing down, it will go into second from third.

So, any thoughts from the folks here? I was going to take it to a local shop here but since it's not happened in a bit it'd be tough to diagnose.

Thanks folks! - M
Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone, anyone? Beuller?
Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have had that same thing happen a few times on my 2015 S5. It was always when I was shifting it at higher RPM while accelerating briskly. Typically while turning also. I do not have an explanation as to why it had occurred. I have found however though that if I keep pressure against the shifter and begin to release the clutch the transmission snicks into second as the clutch begins to apply power. It is hardly ever an issue for me anymore. Takes a bit of faith to do that :-)