Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Should I be worried? (Long Story with my S5)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Should I be worried? (Long Story with my S5)

Hi, I've owned my S5 Cabriolet for the past 2 years with no issues to report except a nagging seatbelt extender on the passenger side that only worked intermittently. With the factory warranty expiring next month (car only has 25k miles) I decided to finally get it fixed as the dealer got it to work last year, but after a few days it went back into hiding.

Just over 2 weeks ago I left my car at the dealer and that's when the fun began:
- First they founds faults in the system and found the seatbelt motor mechanically seized so they worked with corporate who advised checking all electrical connections before they got the green light to order parts.
- They replaced the arm motor and cleared the faults.
- They then said they noticed some issues happening with the drivers side (this side has worked 100% of the time for me) so ordered the parts.
- They replaced the drivers side and needed to wait for Audi Germany to help them code everything which took another day.
- Then with both belt extenders working properly they noticed that the passenger side window stopped "sealing" (this is when you open the door of a convertible and the window drops a centimeter and then seals when you close it) so they needed to replace the "comfort module".
- After waiting for those parts to come in they said it was replaced and all is working properly.
- I came back from my business trip and picked up the car today (15 days after I had first dropped it off)
- The SA got in the drivers side, started the car and told me to come sit in the passenger side. I noticed the extender come out about an inch when he started the car and went back in, but when i fully opened the door it didn't work. He said he was unlocking it when I was opening it so we turned the car off and tried again.
- The belt worked multiple times and I got into the drivers side and saw the EPC light on in the dash.
- The SA quickly took it in to the tech to have it scanned and came out saying it was a thermostat code of some sorts and was likely from the number of time the car was started before I got there.
- They cleared the code and he said to call if anything occurs. I asked for paperwork and he said it's not ready, but he will mail it to me.
- I drove off and was happy to be in my car after more than 2 weeks and will look at the paperwork when they send it.
- I stopped to pick up food and then driving home I heard some extra wind noise. I realized that the passenger window was slight opened so I shut it with the window switch.
- Remembering then that the "comfort module" was replaced when I got home I quickly got out and opened the passenger door. Window immediately dropped 1cm as it should, but when I shut the door the window did not go back up and seal! ****!!! I also noticed with the door closed the hazard light was now illuminated as was the gear selector lights (i think that's what turns on when you open the door so guessing something is telling that module that door is still open and the window it not sealing).
- I called the SA as he was leaving for the day and he told me to come by tomorrow and they will have a look to see if it's something simple otherwise they will have to take my car back!

At this point I don't know if the issues coming up are mechanical, electrical or software/programming as they had spent a day with Audi Germany according to the SA programming the replaced modules. This car has be absolutely perfect except for this silly seatbelt extender, so now I'm worried that either they don't know what they are doing or something was done incorrectly.

Sorry for the LONG story, but any help from the experts here (maybe someone can buy me a beer) is appreciated. I'll be going back tomorrow morning with the car and see what they say.

TIA,
-DJ

Old 04-23-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Absolutely Take the Car in as Soon as Possible!!

And don't leave UNTIL you have the paperwork IN YOUR HAND from your previous visit. This is CRITICAL. You need that paperwork to document the previous problems and what they did. Without it you as out of luck after the warranty expires.

I had the same thing happen to me. They repaired my car but did not provide paperwork. Now if the same thing happens again (and my warranty has expired) I can't claim this is a continuing problem and they can make me pay for it out of my pocket rather than theirs.

Now as to do they have a clue as to what they are doing. I don't know, but is sounds as though they are whistling in the dark without a flashlight. Maybe you should get the paperwork and then find a different dealer.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I will absolutely be getting the paperwork from the last and this visit as the car is back with them as I spoke to the Service Director today and he assured me they will correct this and warranty this and associated issues for a year while they are working with AoA now since they opened a case. This will be their last chance otherwise I will go to another dealer as this is just a seatbelt after all.

TIA,
-DJ