Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Should RS5 be more like Bentley V8?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should RS5 be more like Bentley V8?

Not sure if anyone had posted about this but found a rather beautifully designed launch video for the Bentley Continental V8. And then I noticed the familiar engine sound...and I can't help but wonder why the turbocharged V8 from the S6/7/8 wasn't used in the RS5 (or the RS4 for that matter) instead of NA...it would have been SO much more car (to tune too).

http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/...er_Launch_Film

Last edited by Cloudripper; 04-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudripper
...and I can't help but wonder why the turbocharged V8 from the S6/7/8 wasn't used in the RS5 instead of NA...it would have been SO much more car (to tune too).
I agree - the RS5 with the V8TT would have been fantastic, but from what I have heard, the current V8TT doesn't fit in the RS5 engine bay...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I think this horse is dead. It's been discussed ad nauseum. The V8TT is too big to fit and there is nothing more emotional than a high revving NA engine with instant throttle response such as the one in the RS5. Do you own or have driven an RS5? Have you heard it at 8000+ rpm with the sports exhaust or when it starts up?

TT engines have laggy throttle response and unpredictable power delivery vs the instant response and linear power delivery of the RS5 engine. I've driven many cars with TT engines and I'm always annoyed at the power surges around town. First nothing happens and then the turbo/chargers spin up and the power delivery is out of phase with what I really wanted.

Sure the push in the seats from the low-end torque is great, but when I want to drive sporty I want to revv the engine and I want it to pull all the way to redline. At low rpm I actually want the car to be tame for comfortable driving around town. That's exactly what you get with the RS5. Around town you might as well be driving an A8, but then you put it in dynamic and open it up and the beast awakens. Perfect in my opinion for an every day sports car.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-25-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh BTW, regarding tuning. Who in their right mind wants to void the drive train warranty on a $70/80k car and what's the point of waiting 4 years before you can tune it if you want to keep the warranty? In four years I'm gonna buy a new car. I want the performance now and not in 4 years.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh BTW, regarding tuning. Who in their right mind wants to void the drive train warranty on a $70/80k car and what's the point of waiting 4 years before you can tune it if you want to keep the warranty? In four years I'm gonna buy a new car. I want the performance now and not in 4 years.
+1...but there are plenty of folks out there with far more money than common sense.

Like the one wacko on another Forum who wants put the B8 body parts on his B8.5.

Nothing like making a new car old.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Point taken. Although some folks tune their S4 right out of the box, and that's a $50-60k car.

Also your point about how the RS5 sounds - I drove an RS4 when they came out, and loved the engine and exhaust note. I've seen a couple RS5s on the road, and they look (and sound) fantastic!

You're probably right that the torque-y character of the V8TT suits a 'staid' car like a S6 or Bentley better than a real sports car like the RS5 or RS4.

Last edited by Cloudripper; 04-25-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a5sport
Like the one wacko on another Forum who wants put the B8 body parts on his B8.5.

Nothing like making a new car old.
Do you mean the bumper and grille? I have not idea why someone would do that...I like the B8.5 design
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

At low rpm I actually want the car to be tame for comfortable driving around town.
I thought the V8TT will auto disable 4 of the cylinders when it is not needed? This would suit your needs stated above, presumably.

p/s I do not own the RS5 nor I have driven one. Nor have I tried the V8TT. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by monchiwai
I thought the V8TT will auto disable 4 of the cylinders when it is not needed? This would suit your needs stated above, presumably.

p/s I do not own the RS5 nor I have driven one. Nor have I tried the V8TT. Just my 2 cents.
Cylinder deactivation happens under partial load as in when you are cruising along, not when you are accelerating and its sole purpose is to save fuel, not to tame the car. As soon as you hit the throttle the cylinders are reactivated.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cloudripper
Do you mean the bumper and grille? I have not idea why someone would do that...I like the B8.5 design
Yes...the entire B8 (2007-2012) front end & rear end. Bumpers, hood, lights...everything.

Have no idea why either. Especially when there are still quite a few brand new B8 cars still for sale around the area where this kid lives.

Last edited by a5sport; 04-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should RS5 be more like Bentley V8?