Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Subwoofer Install HELP

Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Install HELP

I purchased an A5 Sportback (2018) recently. I had a very reputable shop install my rockford P2 12 inch sub with a brand new Alpine 500 watt mono class D amp. There is also a sub processor as well. When it works it sounds amazing. This sub coupled with the B&O stereo in the car sounds really good. The internal sub is still working. So...heres the problem.... When I start the car....about 20% of the time....there is NO BASE signal being sent to the rear internal and external sub. Both subs are off. While driving...it never comes on and also never cuts out. If the base is off....it will REMAIN off for the entirety of the drive. During this time....THERE IS POWER to the amp.

However, if the base is on when I start the car....it will remain on for as long as I drive. It will never cut off etc etc. The car stereo shop is very nice and willing to work with me but we cant figure it out. He had the power originally infront of a fuse right next to the battery terminal. When I went back he re wired it so its hitting the battery direct and not to a fuse.... We really thought we fixed it. We were banging the base for 5 minutes with the car off, lights on etc etc... and it didnt fault once or anything. I've had stereo equipment in my cars for 25 years and I've never experienced anything like this. What can we do to bypass the brain of the audi to insure the sub will always receive a signal.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, you need to hook back up to the fuse before you have a fire. Secondly, get a better person nstaller. I suspect the installer used the wrong turn on trigger wire and that's why it doesn't always work. The B9 should have a telephone turn on wire somewhere, or a better suited trigger.