Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thinking of purchasing this s5

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing this s5

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of picking up a non certified 2014 Audi s5 Premium Plus Coupe. It seems to be pretty aggressively priced based on everything else I could find online. The dealer wouldn't budge on the price but they would give me the price I was looking for on my trade. Interior is in great shape, exterior needs a paint correction and windshield needs to have a chip repaired but everything else appeared to be in good shape.

My questions are really is there anything specific I should be looking out for on this year/generation s5? I know coming from the m3 world the big worry was rod bearings. I did search the forum and noticed a lot of information about carbon build up? Is this something I should lose sleep over or any other issues?

Also since its coming up on 35k figured a service is about due. Can anyone advise what the 35k service involves so I could figure a ballpark price. Maybe I could use this with my negotiations w/ the dealer.

I appreciate your help!

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Audi S5 3.0T Premium Plus Coupe for sale in GRAPEVINE, TX 76051: Coupe Details - 456003369 - Autotrader

Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the schedule for regular S5 service. The 35K is a major service, particularly of the dual clutch s-tronic. It is costly and you should get it done.

But I'd advise you call or visit an Audi dealership with VIN and ask to see if the car has Audicare already paid for. It transfers with the cars VIN, but when buying outside a non Audi dealership, they won't know.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2014.pdf

Also, punch its VIN into this website. It'll give you lots of info on the history.
This car has had several ownership transfers, from auction, to a Chevy dealer to now a Toyota dealer. That in itself is not a cause for concern, but should still be questioned and researched.

This B8.5 has been a very reliable car for me in five years of ownership. With only the sunroof sliding shade having busted on me.
My 2013 had two recall upgrades done to the ECU. One for a notchy steering feel and the other for easing of the factory cat parameters. Good luck.

https://www.research.com/vehicle/land.php

Last edited by lmariorod; 06-12-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Here is the schedule for regular S5 service. The 35K is a major service, particularly of the dual clutch s-tronic. It is costly and you should get it done.

But I'd advise you call or visit an Audi dealership with VIN and ask to see if the car has Audicare already paid for. It transfers with the cars VIN, but when buying outside a non Audi dealership, they won't know.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2014.pdf

Also, punch its VIN into this website. It'll give you lots of info on the history.
This car has had several ownership transfers, from auction, to a Chevy dealer to now a Toyota dealer. That in itself is not a cause for concern, but should still be questioned and researched.

This B8.5 has been a very reliable car for me in five years of ownership. With only the sunroof sliding shade having busted on me.
My 2013 had two recall upgrades done to the ECU. One for a notchy steering feel and the other for easing of the factory cat parameters. Good luck.

https://www.research.com/vehicle/land.php
Thanks for insight on the Audicare. I just emailed the Audi dealership near me to see if they could check the VIN. Hope to hear back soon.

I did notice the service and what not at a Chevy dealership prior to the service at the Toyota dealership. This and the fact that the 2nd owner only keeping the vehicle 3 months does concern me.

This past Saturday their sales manager told me they lowered the price to the "lowest" or they'll just sell move it to the auction if they can't move it at this price. He's "losing" money already so not sure if I can negotiate the 35k service off the price but if I have to service the vehicle upon purchasing it and sink another 1-2k into it then the deal isn't as good as it appears.

Probably best to take it to an Audi for a PPI due to all the recent service being done at non Audi dealerships and see whats what.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very good. Do your research before purchasing. As a current or former M3 owner, you know full well these are high maintenance cars. You don't want to come here after having purchased someones headache.

Red flag number 1 is if they won't allow for a PPI.
Red flag number 2 is if it did not get regularly serviced at Audi @ 5K,15k and 25K.

You may want to see if you can negotiate a lower miles '14 or '15 S5 at an Audi dealership that comes with a 6 year (from original service date) 100k miles certified. With the new B9 S5 out. They should be a lot more negotiable.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just confirmed with Audi that this VIN has no Audicare. They do two different PPI a basic and a CPO PPI prices $145 or $435. They also confirmed 35k service with DSG fluid change was $1,002 so not horrible but not something I want to spend after just buying the vehicle before driving it really.

Based on carfax:
@ 7k the 5k maint was done
@ 13k the 15k maint was done
@ 23k an oil change was done but which appears to be the bulk of the 25k maint but doesn't specify the full 25k main was complete

So I guess with that information in mind I'm going to see if the dealer will adjust the price based on the upcoming service and if not then no point in doing a PPI or looking at the car any further as they probably wont negotiate for anything that needs to be corrected on the car based on the PPI.

Again thanks for the help! First time I've purchased a used vehicle in a while. I also just realized the vehicle is still under warranty, based on the service records in carfax its been decently kept up to date so warranty should still be valid.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bankOmAn
They also confirmed 35k service with DSG fluid change was $1,002 so not horrible but not something I want to spend after just buying the vehicle before driving it really.
That definitely confirms Audi Care is a good deal. I paid $850 for 15/25/35/45 service, which included DSG at 35 on my 2013 S5.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
That definitely confirms Audi Care is a good deal. I paid $850 for 15/25/35/45 service, which included DSG at 35 on my 2013 S5.
So true. Pretty much a no brainer for us B8.5 owners. Maybe not so much for the current B9 owners, as I don't think it includes changing of the 8sp tip fluid while on AC.

Pretty much a no brainer for the OP also. As I believe they'll still sell him AC, even after having missed the 15K and 25K. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He'll get the 35K major with the s-tronic service, oil change, cabin filter, top off and a bunch of check that, check this...plus the 45K at no charge for $850-$880.

Whereas, right now without AC, he's being quoted 1K+ for the s-tronic service alone.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lmariorod
So true. Pretty much a no brainer for us B8.5 owners. Maybe not so much for the current B9 owners, as I don't think it includes changing of the 8sp tip fluid while on AC.

Pretty much a no brainer for the OP also. As I believe they'll still sell him AC, even after having missed the 15K and 25K. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He'll get the 35K major with the s-tronic service, oil change, cabin filter, top off and a bunch of check that, check this...plus the 45K at no charge for $850-$880.

Whereas, right now without AC, he's being quoted 1K+ for the s-tronic service alone.
Can anyone else confirm this? I've been going back and forth with the dealer trying to negotiate the price of the service but they seem pretty firm and aren't wanting to wiggle at all.

If I could get the AC after the fact the fact on a used vehicle not from the Audi dealership that would be awesome. However not sure why when I talked to the dealer about the PPI and current status of AC on this vehicle why they wouldn't offer me AC on it at that time. Maybe because they'll make more money on standalone services...
Old 06-15-2017, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a link to Audi Care/ Audi CAre Select. You can purchase it anytime, just ask for a price when you speak to service. There is not much room for the dealer to discount it, but it is a pretty good value.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...Y16_J2_WEB.pdf
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'd walk. The dealer will take a bath at auction

Originally Posted by bankOmAn
Can anyone else confirm this? I've been going back and forth with the dealer trying to negotiate the price of the service but they seem pretty firm and aren't wanting to wiggle at all.

If I could get the AC after the fact the fact on a used vehicle not from the Audi dealership that would be awesome. However not sure why when I talked to the dealer about the PPI and current status of AC on this vehicle why they wouldn't offer me AC on it at that time. Maybe because they'll make more money on standalone services...
There are othe S5s out there mane not in TX. RS5 too. Non audi dealer and price issue is deal breaker not to mention not-CPO.

You can also check local auction when it comes up...bid your price 5k lower and come up to your price or keep walking.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing this s5