Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is it totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it totaled?

Hey guys,

Wrecked my damn car the other day. I guess it might be a blessing in disguise, as I've been looking to upgrade anyway, but it's going to take my insurance some time to make a decision and it would help me prep if I had an idea what the status will end up being!

What do you guys think? Will my insurance call this a total loss?

Old 12-10-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Justin, welcome aboard! What's the proposed repair cost so far?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Uberwgn!

And I have no idea. The accident just happened the other day and I haven't heard anything yet.

I forgot to mention, my car model is a 2013 A5 automatic.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Do you know how many miles are on it?

How bad are things when the hood is up?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Do you know how many miles are on it?

How bad are things when the hood is up?
Around 41,000 miles on it I believe.

Did not check under the hood but I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have a chance.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by justinjunior
Around 41,000 miles on it I believe.

Did not check under the hood but I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have a chance.
its surprising how little damage it takes now a days for a car to be totaled by the ins co. with some companies once you get to about 60% of the value of the car in repair they start to talk total.
call your agent and see what figure your carrier uses. I am sorry it happened, I am going to put in an early vote for totaled.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Really can't tell from these pics. A lot of that could be fairly easy to fix, just bolt on cosmetic parts. The real question is the engine, cradle and frame damage. That would probably push it towards a total. Check at www.kbb.com to see what the car is worth, retail and wholesale. That's sort of the target. And don't just take the initial estimate, make sure your insurance company is on the hook for all sorts of hidden secondary costs. And last, because a carfax will then list this damage your car will be worth even less than book. Cosmetic stuff don't worry, but beyond that you're in trouble. Then the question is who will do the work. Your insurance company will try to steer you to one of their favorite (read cheap) shops. They won't have you foremost in their mind because you're a one time customer, the insurance company is a repeat customer. If your authorized Audi dealerships is good I'd insist the work be done there. Some states allow you to take your car where you want. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the appraiser just contacted me and told me they will go for the repair vs calling it a total loss.

I looked at the engine today, and it seemed relatively fine outside of some bends and dents in the front.

Is there anything I should be worried about? I was almost hoping they would call it a loss. What happens if I end up with issues down the line due to the repair?

Sorry for the questions, I've just never dealt with this process up until now.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

they are extremely stout cars - the most important thing is bringing it to a shop you trust

any worthwhile shop warranties their work, so you should be covered. If you have an Audi dealer with a body shop on site, that might be something you consider as well. You get to say who fixes the car, not the insurance company

Any good insurance will do an initial ok for repairs, less your deductible, and then offer a supplemental should the shop find additional things needed (which is common)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
they are extremely stout cars - the most important thing is bringing it to a shop you trust

any worthwhile shop warranties their work, so you should be covered. If you have an Audi dealer with a body shop on site, that might be something you consider as well. You get to say who fixes the car, not the insurance company

Any good insurance will do an initial ok for repairs, less your deductible, and then offer a supplemental should the shop find additional things needed (which is common)
Got it! Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Is it totaled?