Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Trading my RS5 in for an RS7

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading my RS5 in for an RS7

My RS5 has been without doubt the best car I have ever had the pleasure to own and drive. But I'm trading it in for an RS7. Can it get any better? I watched a clip on YouTube where a racing driver said the RS5 handles much better than the RS7.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The RS7 has some serious body roll, squat and dive issues with the standard air suspension. It also understeers like crazy. Which video clip did you watch? The one where they put it up against the Panamera and took both to the track?

I wanna see one tested with the DRC. It should fix the body roll etc. issues, albeit at the price of losing comfort. So far everybody who reviewed it said it rides very hard with the DRC, but I haven't seen a similar video clip to see how it handles.

My impression of the RS7 so far is that it is really fun if all you do is going straight really fast. Corners are not its forte. Basically it's great to assault the Autobahn, unfortunately, we don't have an Autobahn here.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The RS7 has some serious body roll, squat and dive issues with the standard air suspension. It also understeers like crazy. Which video clip did you watch? The one where they put it up against the Panamera and took both to the track?

I wanna see one tested with the DRC. It should fix the body roll etc. issues, albeit at the price of losing comfort. So far everybody who reviewed it said it rides very hard with the DRC, but I haven't seen a similar video clip to see how it handles.

My impression of the RS7 so far is that it is really fun if all you do is going straight really fast. Corners are not its forte. Basically it's great to assault the Autobahn, unfortunately, we don't have an Autobahn here.
Yes that's the clip. I suppose most of our driving is on motorways or dual carriageways and not through fast corners. So I guess it's not a bad compromise albeit very illegal.
I love the look of both cars, but the RS7 offers that tremendous space and practicality.
However, the RS5 looks bloody terrific.
Was tempted to just get a newer RS5. I can't help wondering if they'll put an even better engine in the RS5.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would stay as far away from the DRC as possible..After the RS4 and RS6 problems they had i'm amazed Audi is trying it again.. It cost them millions in recalls and warranty repairs first time around..Everyone would up yanking the system out and going to KW v3;s which worked better..
Buyer beware!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
I would stay as far away from the DRC as possible..After the RS4 and RS6 problems they had i'm amazed Audi is trying it again.. It cost them millions in recalls and warranty repairs first time around..Everyone would up yanking the system out and going to KW v3;s which worked better..
Buyer beware!
It's an option on the current RS4 and RS5 outside of the North American market. Haven't heard of any issues, so perhaps they worked it out. I know what you mean, though. I'm torn between being upset that DRC isn't available on the US RS5 or glad that it isn't :-). However, the standard suspension on the RS5 is very good and not as loosy goosy as the air suspension, so with the RS7 one is kinda between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Buyer beware!
I've had DRC on two cars now. I bought it with my S5 in 2009 and I have it now on my RS5 which I got in 2011. I have to say both times it's been fantastic with no problems. It's a real fun switch between comfort and beast!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought DRC was reserved for RS cars. While the S has adaptive suspension, it isn't DRC. It's just adaptive dampers. At least that's the case in the American market.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buyer beware!

I had DRC in my 08 RS4 and had no problems with it whatsoever.. The RS6 had many more problems, but this was an earlier generation system.

Many RS4 owners I know have been more than happy with DRC and haven't had any issues with them.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vr90802
I had DRC in my 08 RS4 and had no problems with it whatsoever.. The RS6 had many more problems, but this was an earlier generation system.

Many RS4 owners I know have been more than happy with DRC and haven't had any issues with them.
The problems we had with the faulty DRC's in the RS6 and the RS4 were fixable..but.. it took 4 years for them to acknowledge the problem and a DOT recall which forced them to replace all DRC systems in the USA..otherwise they were prefectly happy to keep charging people for replacement faulty shocks.. I had 26 shocks replaced in my RS6 over 5 years..
This was not the main issue.. Since the RS cars are a limited production, the Audi techs had no training in DRC replacement and recharging the systems.. they had been somewhat trained in basic car maintenance but since the DRC was not expected to give so much trouble, they did not know how to install them or how the car should ride when they were working properly.. When Audi replaced them with the new improved versions, the techs installed them incorrectly due to bad training and the car rode like a cadillac.. many of us were furious and Audi refused to redo them saying they were working up to spec which we knew was bull.. So we were stuck with a faulty repair of a faulty system. The same happened to the RS4 crowd.. This plus the defective transmissions we all had failures of ruined the experience for us.. thats why I and many others have opted not to buy the RS cars .. too many hi tech systems that fail constantly compared to the S models..I hope new folks have better experiences with them now, but what I went thru for 10 years was enuff to sway me and hundreds of others...