Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer

excuse my ignorance (I'm still waiting for my S5) does the system have only one sub?

Tonny
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

but to make up for it the volume goes to 11
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There are costs/budgets that limit how well the systems can be engineered. Reflected in quality of

the components used. You are right though, I'm probably a minority and this post may not be beneficial for most. Having had upgraded audio systems in nearly all of my past cars, its hard for me to be satisfied when I know that something can be improved. The sound of the B&O is one of the best I've heard from a factory system but when it comes to bass, I am very critical. However knowing that I am not fully satisfied with the bass quality leads me to this. I love good subwoofers, and when I pulled out the factory 8" B&O, I was well... a bit underwelmed.

My desire is to get higher db's and less roll off at the 30Hz range (probably more like 40Hz with the factory system) using a component that is better engineered and without the budget constraints of the factory's unit.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, I don't plan to tamper with anything but the actual subwoofer driver.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree. I really like the imaging and the highs are great. Just feel they ran out of budget

by the time they reached the subwoofer. Not horrible by any means, but if we can improve it with little effort, why not right
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is the Bang & Olufsen webpage for the A5/S5

<ul><li><a href="http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=322">http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=322</a</li></ul>
Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I noticed the factory sub is upside down, can you fit the new larger subs in this way?

I took a quick look online at some subs and noticed some companies do make shallow mounted subs that may even free up more space for our application, although if the quality isn't as good it would defeat the whole purpose of the upgrade.

You must have removed the rear deck for this, can a 10" drop in the same hole with the magnet in the trunk?

You probably will anyways, but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing images of how it all works out inside the trunk. If you get a chance some pictures of that would help us visualize the switch. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Re: There are costs/budgets that limit how well the systems can be engineered. Reflected in quality

where did you buy the 10IB4, it seems like it has been discountinued for quite a while.

Tonny
Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I noticed the factory sub is upside down, can you fit the new larger subs in this way?

The actual cutout is slightly less than 9" but it can be mounted upside down with a spacer or a subwoofer that will drop into a a hole that is slightly less than 9".

With the 10IB4I, I plan to use the 3/4 MDF spacer to mount and seal against the bottom of the rear deck and then slide the woofer up through the bottom. I have a feeling that it will fit this way but I'll have to wait until later this week for the test fit.

I'll get you a pic from the top once I get a good one through the tint. The bottom pics will be easier to do.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer