Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

VAG-COM - Good to Have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM - Good to Have?

I'm a recent A5 owner and one of things I've noticed about it (which kind of bugs me) is the 'winking' in which the DRL turns off on the side whenever the amber signal is flashing. I'm not sure why Audi chose to do this in the first place actually.

Anyway, I spoke to the service department about this and it's possible they can correct this for about an hour's charge (minimum) plus applicable taxes and such.

For more money, I can buy the VAG-COM unit, research how to do it online and correct it myself. However, I'm not sure I want to spend that amount just to correct the winking problem.

For those of you who own this product, what other wonderful things have you been able to customize on your vehicle that you otherwise could not have done?

Any thoughts, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a5_fanatic
I'm a recent A5 owner and one of things I've noticed about it (which kind of bugs me) is the 'winking' in which the DRL turns off on the side whenever the amber signal is flashing. I'm not sure why Audi chose to do this in the first place actually.
It's a DOT regulation that a light within a certain distance from the turn signal cannot impede the view of the turn signal. Since the DRL/LED runs right into the turn signal, Audi had to program the US car to turn the DRL off.

Anyway, I spoke to the service department about this and it's possible they can correct this for about an hour's charge (minimum) plus applicable taxes and such.
Eff that - do it yourself.

For more money, I can buy the VAG-COM unit, research how to do it online and correct it myself. However, I'm not sure I want to spend that amount just to correct the winking problem.
Yepp - It's a really useful tool to have to diagnose problems with your car as well as update a lot of features that come with the car that aren't enabled in the North American market.

For those of you who own this product, what other wonderful things have you been able to customize on your vehicle that you otherwise could not have done?

Any thoughts, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
List of my VCDS mods:
* Enable VIM on MMI
* Enable Battery meter
* Disable Seatbelt Chime
* Enable Hidden menu in MMI
* Enable Adaptive brake lights & Hazards
* Enable Gauge Test/Needle Sweep
* Disable LED 'wink' on turn signal
* Enable Remote Operation Windows & Sunroof
* Set Audi parking system - Switch OFF Speed
* Enable Release Parking Brake without putting on seatbelt
* Enable Euro parking lights that turn on signal at night
* Enable Release Parking Brake without putting foot on Brake
* Enable Independent Fogs control with high beams (Front & Rear)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW,

Umisthisthingon wins the award for the best response of the year.

Doing it right.

(Hand Clap)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks UmIsThisThingOn, that truly is an informative answer which certainly helps a lot.

Didn't know that about the DOT regulation but wouldn't Audi have considered that when they were designing the front of it? lol. I see other vehicles nowadays with LED DRLs but perhaps they space theirs further apart from the turn signal - never noticed if they wink as well.

Seems like you've done quite a few mods with yours. I noticed that mine does the needle sweep upon starting so maybe Audi decided to incorporate that from now on.

Thanks again.