AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   Voice Recognition missing from menu (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/voice-recognition-missing-menu-2975267/)

brookiez28 07-04-2019 08:02 AM

Voice Recognition missing from menu

Just bought a 2015 S5. The Voice command button on the steering wheel does nothing when pressed. I went to MMI Setup and there is no "Voice Recognition" selection in the menu. All other commands are there (Language, Measurement Units, etc.). Seems bizarre that the command would simply be missing from the menu. My 2011 A5 VR command worked fine. Would very much appreciate any assistance in trouble shooting! Thanks in advance.

JackInOhio 07-05-2019 03:58 AM

Enable through the obd port using a carista or vag comm unit. Lots of threads on the topic. Try a few searches..

Originally Posted by brookiez28 (Post 25338554)
Just bought a 2015 S5. The Voice command button on the steering wheel does nothing when pressed. I went to MMI Setup and there is no "Voice Recognition" selection in the menu. All other commands are there (Language, Measurement Units, etc.). Seems bizarre that the command would simply be missing from the menu. My 2011 A5 VR command worked fine. Would very much appreciate any assistance in trouble shooting! Thanks in advance.

superswiss 07-05-2019 06:00 AM

Coupe or Cabrio? The latter has VR disabled from the factory due to the noise with the open roof interfering and making it perform poorly.

brookiez28 07-05-2019 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JackInOhio (Post 25338784)
Enable through the obd port using a carista or vag comm unit. Lots of threads on the topic. Try a few searches..

Thx much, sir! On my 2011 A5 cab the VR option appeared on the menu but does not even show on the S5 menu. I don't have the tech savvy to set up using the PC . Dealer wants $160 which is fine.

brookiez28 07-05-2019 09:21 AM

Thanks much, superswiss. Going to get it dealt with tomorrow....

smurkenstein 07-05-2019 11:41 PM

If you have a smart phone (and MMI), you might be able to do it with Carista - you'll save quite a few doallrs

brookiez28 07-06-2019 01:34 PM

UPDATE: Went to an Audi dealer today. They searched my VIN and said my car is not equipped with Voice Recognition . I was under the impression that ALL S5's come with VR but the convertibles have it disabled from the factory. Does anyone know the actual facts about this? I'm trying to determine if VR is merely disabled on my car or if it's impossible to set up because it does not have the VR option (if VR even IS an option). As mentioned in my original post, "Voice Recognition" does not even appear on the MMI Setup menu as an option but I am not sure if this means it's simply disabled and a knowledgable dealer can enable it, or if I'm SOL and there is no way to actually enable this feature. My car is a Premium Plus model. My 2011 A5 was also PP but had the VR feature. Thanks again for your help!

superswiss 07-06-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by brookiez28 (Post 25339313)
UPDATE: Went to an Audi dealer today. They searched my VIN and said my car is not equipped with Voice Recognition . I was under the impression that ALL S5's come with VR but the convertibles have it disabled from the factory. Does anyone know the actual facts about this? I'm trying to determine if VR is merely disabled on my car or if it's impossible to set up because it does not have the VR option (if VR even IS an option). As mentioned in my original post, "Voice Recognition" does not even appear on the MMI Setup menu as an option but I am not sure if this means it's simply disabled and a knowledgable dealer can enable it, or if I'm SOL and there is no way to actually enable this feature. My car is a Premium Plus model. My 2011 A5 was also PP but had the VR feature. Thanks again for your help!

It's just disabled and there is coding to enable it, but don't expect a dealership to do it. They'll go by the book, and an S5 cab doesn't officially have VR. I spoke to the service manager at my dealership a while back about making some coding changes on my RS5. He refused and told me that they once agreed to enable VR on a cab, but then the car had some strange issues afterwards, so they don't wanna touch it anymore and Audi may deny warranty claims. You are on your own. If you wanna enable it, get the necessary tools yourself and do the coding or find a tuner or another member near you willing to help you out if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Cubican 07-08-2019 07:55 PM

I had the same problem the Carista worked great but once you enable will take few starts before it starts working. 14 rs5 vert

PARealtor 07-14-2019 04:20 PM

I had voice recognition in my 2017 S5 cab until they replaced the MMI controls and then it was gone. Taking it back in next week and plan on asking them to turn it back on.