AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   Wanted to Check out an A5/S5 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/wanted-check-out-a5-s5-2787320/)

looking@audi 07-23-2010 08:45 AM

Wanted to Check out an A5/S5

New member - 1st Post.

My current lease is expiring in a few months so I am looking at options. I love the look of the S5! I live in the Boston metro area so I called the 2 closest local dealers (Audi Westwood & Bernardi Audi).

Neither dealer had an S5 available for a test drive. Neither dealer had an A5. Neither dealer had a car with the 2.0TFSI engine or 4.2FSI for comparison.

The closest Bernardi had was a test drive in an A4 with the outgoing 6 cylinder engine. The car looked like it hadn't been washed in weeks.

I politely asked if I could leave my name and number and have them call me when they got an A5 or S5 available for a test drive. The dealer told me that they never do test drives - that the cars sell themselves based on looks alone. He asked my why would you need to test drive the car - of course it drives well -it's an Audi...

Based on the initial dealer experiences, I don't have a good feeling about Audi.

Did anyone on this forum test drive the A5/S5 before they ordered - or was it love at first sight and hope the car meet their expectations after signing the papers?

I welcome thoughts and opinions.

TopDownDriver 07-23-2010 08:54 AM

Drove a used S5 and an A5 Cab before placing my order for an S5 cab. I am sure I will be very happy with my order.

Had to call around to even find ANY S5 to test.

JBDinTX 07-23-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by looking@audi (Post 24008519)
New member - 1st Post.

My current lease is expiring in a few months so I am looking at options. I love the look of the S5! I live in the Boston metro area so I called the 2 closest local dealers (Audi Westwood & Bernardi Audi).

Neither dealer had an S5 available for a test drive. Neither dealer had an A5. Neither dealer had a car with the 2.0TFSI engine or 4.2FSI for comparison.

The closest Bernardi had was a test drive in an A4 with the outgoing 6 cylinder engine. The car looked like it hadn't been washed in weeks.

I politely asked if I could leave my name and number and have them call me when they got an A5 or S5 available for a test drive. The dealer told me that they never do test drives - that the cars sell themselves based on looks alone. He asked my why would you need to test drive the car - of course it drives well -it's an Audi...

Based on the initial dealer experiences, I don't have a good feeling about Audi.

Did anyone on this forum test drive the A5/S5 before they ordered - or was it love at first sight and hope the car meet their expectations after signing the papers?

I welcome thoughts and opinions.

Most Audi dealers are pricks. You will find a few good ones. The local dealer here in Colorado springs, co is the same way. I bought my s5 in Denver at prestige audi they are great. Gerhard was my salesman.

looking@audi 07-23-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBDinTX (Post 24008543)
Most Audi dealers are pricks.

I wonder why? I find the BMW, Mercedes, Porsche dealers around me (Boston Metro) very helpful and professional. The 2 Audi dealers I spoke to give the company a bad reputation.

NFTrix 07-23-2010 10:16 AM

Audi is very fond of the A5/S5 right now, it's the real pride and joy for mainstream folks(who cant afford an R8).

I'd recommend trying to find a used S5 to test drive, even if it's not at an Audi dealership. This will give you a good feel for the car.

I recently(2 weeks ago) bought a 2011 A5 without ever driving one. I was coming from an A4 2.0T quattro so i knew what the performance would be like and I wasn't worried.

The car is beautiful and you wont be disappointed with either car.

Also, some dealers are good and will go the extra mile while others are going to stone wall you unless you say "I'm prepared to buy one today".

acura2audi 07-23-2010 10:18 AM

Hi looking@audi,
I concur totally. I've been shopping all week because my Infiniti lease is up soon and I like these new Audis. And yes the Audi dealers have redefined the word "Douche" and not in a minty fresh way. Everything from "all Audis only sell at MSRP" to my favorite "we have to collect a $5,000 deposit to order a car because these are exclusive vehicles".

At first I thought it was just the usual L.A. douchbag mentality but apparently it must be part of the dealer training program.

Omeletpants 07-23-2010 10:35 AM

In Chicago, all 7 Audi dealers have test cars. If they don't they take a new one off the lot for a test.

It's important to test like any car. I first test drove an S5 and to be honest the car was very front heavy and too loud for me. The A5 was a different story as the engine is 300lbs lighter and the car is quieter and more nimble. There also different in seat and suspension feel that you need to experience.

bbmaster 07-23-2010 11:30 AM

My dealer does not have any A5/S5 on the lot. I think they stopped giving people test drives without a deposit as too many people would come just for a joyride.

questionlp 07-23-2010 11:49 AM

My local dealer just got in two CPO S5's (one Meteor Gray coupe and one Sprint Blue cabriolet). My SA was able to set aside some time this weekend for me to test drive the cabriolet, just to see how it feels compared to the coupe.

As far as availability of new A5/S5s, they have several A5s available but no new S5s. Based on what my SA said, any used S5s are snapped up very quickly by both in and out of state buyers.

About 7 more weeks until I see the S5 that I ordered.

njpeteo 07-23-2010 12:23 PM

I was able to test drive the A5 before I ordered one but I have visited five different dealers before I found one I could deal with. I have almost gave up on getting A5 because of the bad experience with every dealer I went to. I'm glad though I have found one I was able to negotiate a great deal with and my 2011 A5 will be here next month...