Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Water in the ECM/EPC connector of my A5 B8.5, does anyone have a pin out / diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in the ECM/EPC connector of my A5 B8.5, does anyone have a pin out / diagram

My 2013 A5 had the EPC light come on and it started to run rough. VAG com says p2310 cylinder 4 control circuit shorted to plus.

I swapped around the coil packs and the problem stayed with cylinder 4.
Since the problem stayed with cyl 4 it seems like it was a harness problem or ECM problem.

I pulled out the harness going to the ECM and discovered water in the housing of the 60 pin connector.
I am pretty sure that no one has ever taken the ECM out of the car, it seems unlikely that there is anyway for water to get into the connector, all of the seals are intact.
The entire rest of the ECM space was dry

I thought it was totally crazy, how can water get into the connector housing? I searched forums and the only thing that seems like the same sort of issue is the A8 coolant at the ECM problem that resulted in recall a few years ago.
In the case of the A8 recall there was water wicking or forced somehow in to the wire harness and actually going through the harness in the wire and next to the copper and into the ECM connector.

I would like to know if anyone has the pin out of the 60 pin connector that is in the ECM so I can figure out if I have a similar issue.
It looks like pin 35 of the 60 pin ECM module connector is the source of the green crud that is in the connector.
Only pin 35 on the top two rows is green.

the connectors have been cleaned and the car is running but I figure it is only time before the problem comes up again and it may require new harness and ECM to make sure there are no gremlins, but first I need to know why water would be coming in wire connector 35.

Please help

Picture of the ECM as it was when I pulled it from the car.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Root cause found. Next question, why hasn't there been a recall

Shout out to the great guys at Prestige Audi in Denver.
They took a few minutes to look up pin 35 of the engine computer harness and let me know the root cause of the issue I've been having is a problem at a transmission coolant valve.
I was a bit surprised because my car has a proper manual transmission but the technician showed me the valve and the messed up connection at that end.

The coolant valve has a leak and water uses the insulation as a tube to transport water from the valve connector to the ECM connector where it gets to short out other engine control devices like the coils.

Apparently this isn't all that uncommon, given that the Audi technician has seen it on various models.
There has already been a recall for A8 2010-2013

If anyone else has this issue and you think that power loss and potential stalling would be a safety problem please submit a complaint to nhtsa. gov