Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Waze through Bluetooth Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waze through Bluetooth Issues

Hi-

I recently started having issues hearing Waze directions via Bluetooth. Here are the facts:
  1. 2013 Audi S5
  2. iPhone XS
  3. I am able to hear telephone calls through BT
  4. Waze is set to play on my phone via MMI
  5. When Waze is saying directions, my music stops playing in order to “yield” to the Waze directions as it supposed to do. However, I only hear silence instead of the Waze voice. Moreover, the heads-up screen shows my phone # when Waze is saying any directions — but again, there is only silence
  6. My phone volume is not turned off
  7. I’m able to broadcast Waze via BT using my phone in my wife’s car with no issues.
  8. I’m able to play Waze via my iPhone speaker instead of BT/MMI.
  9. I unpaired and re-paired my phone with my car and uninstalled/reinstalled Waze on my phone; no luck.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless you've updated the software of your MMI, I'd say it's a Waze bug. Try updating Waze and clear its cache.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use waze all the time. iphone also I think a couple of times it did not want to play through the MMI but it later decided to work (not sure what the issues was). Like you I think it was just the audio

Did you check the sound output under settings-advanced settings-sound &voice-advanced-sound output and play as bluetooh phonecall (I guess you have it set since you said it says phone call when it tries to give directions)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you actually listening to music, or to a podcast? There's a longstanding issue spanning multiple phone brands, OSs, and car models (not just Audi) where podcasts don't play well with voice guidance either over BT or via CarPlay/Android Auto. It's a similar symptom to what you're describing, where you either only hear silence, or you'll hear just the first little bit of guidance and then it gets cut off. On the iPhone, the only way to solve it is to either use the "Play as Bluetooth phone call" option in the "Sound output" menu in Waze (which it sounds like you may already be doing), or better yet, turn off "Pause spoken audio". That will lower the volume of the playing audio and mix the guidance in at a higher volume, and it won't mess with the voice guidance. Both Apple Maps and Waze have the latter feature, but Google Maps doesn't support it yet and I have to use Play as Bluetooth phone call instead. This leads to long pauses of silence before and after the guidance that can cause me to miss some turns, but at least I get the voice guidance.

If you're already using "Play as Bluetooth phone call" and it's not working, then unfortunately I don't have any advice.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Uninstalled Waze (again) and reinstalled. Still nothing.

Mild break-through, however, on the way home from work but still no solution. I started playing music from my iPhone music library (through BT Media in the car) and that soothing Waze lady’s voice magically appeared through the music. I didn’t realize just how much I missed her for the past two week until she started directing (and warning) me.

I thought all was fixed. But, alas, she re-hibernated as soon as I switched to FM and Sirius. What gives? With a playlist that grows more and more monotonous with each successive song, I have to have a better solution than playing my iPhone music to hear that sweet Waze voice.

Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

*two weeks, that is. Pardon the typo. My frustration got the better of me.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Won't you only receive the Waze voice prompts when you select your phone as the source via Bluetooth in the mmi?

Such as when the "voice" returned while listening to Bluetooth audio from your phone......
Old 01-12-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. No, my MMI settings were the same when I was listening to music via Bluetooth/ Media. I suppose the only thing that was different was that I had pressed the Media button.

Unfortunately, I have given up on Waze through Bluetooth in my S5. I know that it’s something with the car and not my phone. My Waze/BT connection was fine this week when I had a rental car.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Waze through Bluetooth

Same issue as DDLAE except Iv got reasonable direction's and reports in spoken voice but no "Over-speed" alarm IOS 13.3 Waze 4.57 and MMI High+ HN+R_AU_K0942_4.
Otherwise it all works like a phone call coming in entertainment volume drops directions given but in the case of the alarm just the volume drops and silence. The overspeed alarm is not very loud when played via the phone speaker either.
Has anybody spotted and fixed this issue ?
Mark