Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What power mods do I want for my new B8.5 S5? :o)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What power mods do I want for my new B8.5 S5? :o)

I just picked up my new-to-me 2014 B8.5 S5. I used to have a reasonably heavy mod'd (Stg3 etc) B5 S4, then a stock-power 996TT X50 with exhaust, then a stock-power TTRS. I've been slowing down in my modded cars as you can see. This S5 I bought has an exhaust already, and as my first supercharged car immediately after a TTRS, it's linearity feels a little on the slow side (I'm waiting for boost to hit, TTRS has variable valve kick at 5500, etc).

So I want a little more, but not sure how far I should go. I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in life so I don't want to be messing with the car over time, just want a nice solid ride with more power.

I'll be using APR as I've enjoyed their great products and support over the past 18 years now. Also a very good friend is an APR distributor and will be performing any install in CT before I drive the car back to NC.

I live in NC and it's really hot and humid this summer. I feel like whatever I do I should get better cooling.

Let's assume I definitely do a Stg1 tune (and cooling and exhaust it has)
Should I consider adding Stg2 with 1 pulley?
Should I consider Stg2 w/ dual pulley?
Should I consider Stg2+ Ultracharger throttle body?
When do I start to need a clutch? What are good clutch options out there?
When do I worry about the stock cats?
Other things I should consider?

Car details:
6MT w/ Sport Diff.
Black Optic pkg
Alcantara seats and carbon fiber trim
B&O and Nav
Miltek non-resonated exhaust

Last edited by Mark P; 07-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...crickets...

Congrats!
I picked up my first European car a few months back - a 2014 S5 - Phantom Black 6MT. I wanted the carbon fiber inlays too but couldn't wait for the right combo of mileage, manual, color and carbon. Is the Miltek a CBE? How does it sound in the cabin? I want to modestly mod my car as well so I'll stay tuned (no pun intended) to see/hear your results.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default That's the thing with superchargers..linearity.

Originally Posted by Mark P
I just picked up my new-to-me 2014 B8.5 S5. I used to have a reasonably heavy mod'd (Stg3 etc) B5 S4, then a stock-power 996TT X50 with exhaust, then a stock-power TTRS. I've been slowing down in my modded cars as you can see. This S5 I bought has an exhaust already, and as my first supercharged car immediately after a TTRS, it's linearity feels a little on the slow side (I'm waiting for boost to hit, TTRS has variable valve kick at 5500, etc).

So I want a little more, but not sure how far I should go. I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in life so I don't want to be messing with the car over time, just want a nice solid ride with more power.

I'll be using APR as I've enjoyed their great products and support over the past 18 years now. Also a very good friend is an APR distributor and will be performing any install in CT before I drive the car back to NC.

I live in NC and it's really hot and humid this summer. I feel like whatever I do I should get better cooling.

Car details:
6MT w/ Sport Diff.
Black Optic pkg
B&O and Nav

There generally is no sudden increase in boost.
You're on the right track with increased engine/oil cooling if not transmission cooling (DSG helps compared to torque converters) but don't forget increased AIR cooling...you may well need an enlarged intercooler if not water/methanol injection.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ixof1
...crickets...

Congrats!
I picked up my first European car a few months back - a 2014 S5 - Phantom Black 6MT. I wanted the carbon fiber inlays too but couldn't wait for the right combo of mileage, manual, color and carbon. Is the Miltek a CBE? How does it sound in the cabin? I want to modestly mod my car as well so I'll stay tuned (no pun intended) to see/hear your results.
I'm not sure what CBE is, but this is the non-resonated version. Honestly so far I've only driven it for a testdrive. My buddy helped bring it back (from MA) to his house (in CT) and I need to fly back up (from NC) next weekend to get it. He's driven it much further than I have ;-)
Old 08-05-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

APR stage II
Old 08-05-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P

Car details:
6MT w/ Sport Diff.
Black Optic pkg
B&O and Nav

Watching this. I have the same car but have resisted the temptation to tune it It is fast enough now but it is definitely a big temptation knowing that 100 hp or so is there to be had. Same concerns. One more not mentioned. Resale value.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following. Have 2015 S5 with APR Stage II, and Carbino CF Intake. Am curious about the clutch options as well. Seems like it slips on speed shift, even with TC turned off.