Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What would you do? '09 3.2 or '10 2.0?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now how would that be confusing to a "standard" customer?

what is a "standard" customer anyway?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^^ someone doesn't know muc about car, and doesn't read over 1000+ posts like we all do up here lol. To a normal person, 3.0 is a smaller displacement engine vs 3.2 and they would think a 3.0 with T prob will bring the total hp to roughly about what the 3.2 would or just a tiny bit over. anyways, Anyways, the fact is there is big risk trying to sell another V6 engine with almost 10k differnce.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

It wouldn't be the first time that Audi has had a naturally aspirated larger displacement engine in a non-S model, while the S-model had a smaller, forced induction engine.

For instance, earlier A4's top with a 2.8 or a 3.0, while the S4 had a 2.7T (later replaced with a 4.2 V8).

Same thing happened even within non-S models: A6 base engine for a while was a 2.8 while the next step up was a 2.7T.

Granted, this was several years ago and probably didn't confuse too many people.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fandawg
I would not buy the 2.0T. I had my 09 A5 S line in for service and they gave me an A5 2.0t as a loaner. That id a terrible engine. I do not know what Audi is thiking. It has a bad sound when it is at idle and just does not feel right. I actually hate that engine.

My two cents
I have to agree, for what it is, I think it's a great engine,and I'm a former 1.8t owner '01 A4. I mean for me all I wanted was the S5, but I'd in heart beat take the 3.2 over the 2.0t, simply because I don't really mod like that, if I was a modder sure it makes sense, but if you have the money, 3.2 all the way, and S5 if you can really swing it. I know people get on me, but this car, is too nice to not have a potent beefy engine in it. I think it's as gorgeous as an Aston Martin, and I know it's notremotely in the same class as far as price, but to me looking at the car to me it's as pointless to me as if Aston came out with a car that had a 4 cylinder engine. It just doesn't seem right.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

You dont have to be a modder to walk into your dealer have them hookup a computer flash your code and drive away for $550 buck for 60 and better mpg. Sorry to tell you all but thats the auto industry standard now to make smaller engines with superchargers or turbo. thats why i grabbed the s5 v8 when i could. watch out in a few months though when the s4 and s5 cab are kicking our buts with 400+ hp behind that smaller motor. Think TTRS 5 cylnders for 345 hp. Not bad.

Originally Posted by acadia
I have to agree, for what it is, I think it's a great engine,and I'm a former 1.8t owner '01 A4. I mean for me all I wanted was the S5, but I'd in heart beat take the 3.2 over the 2.0t, simply because I don't really mod like that, if I was a modder sure it makes sense, but if you have the money, 3.2 all the way, and S5 if you can really swing it. I know people get on me, but this car, is too nice to not have a potent beefy engine in it. I think it's as gorgeous as an Aston Martin, and I know it's notremotely in the same class as far as price, but to me looking at the car to me it's as pointless to me as if Aston came out with a car that had a 4 cylinder engine. It just doesn't seem right.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't believe a 2010 Q5 Prestige is first of all only available with 3.2, what ever happened to 2.0T?? anyhow.. a 2010 Q5 Prestige + S-Line + ADS cost $56k??? what is the world coming to!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s5forum
You dont have to be a modder to walk into your dealer have them hookup a computer flash your code and drive away for $550 buck for 60 and better mpg. Sorry to tell you all but thats the auto industry standard now to make smaller engines with superchargers or turbo. thats why i grabbed the s5 v8 when i could. watch out in a few months though when the s4 and s5 cab are kicking our buts with 400+ hp behind that smaller motor. Think TTRS 5 cylnders for 345 hp. Not bad.
Your dealer isn't going to put a chip in for you, it will void the warranty, you can get a person who works on it to put one in.

As for the v6t getting modded, to 400HP, with chip and pullye's etc ... it don't even matter to me, the car simply feels at home, with a proper V8 and sounds at home with a proper V8. The guys with the v6t and so on can have at it, I wouldn't trade my v8 in for a second, I love the way tha thing sings when I hit the start button. That alone is satisfaction enough.

I'm not saying there is something with small powerful engines, the 2.0t doesn't fall in tha class, it's a small good engine, but ... that's even beside the point, unless it hums and feels proper like a v8 which phhysicially is simply impossible to do, it doesn't matter to me. Also, a small powerful engine will cost gos they will get smaller but to get the same power we've been getting it's going to cost more.

Either way, I still prefer the 4.2 v8.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

so what did you end up buying????
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by acadia
Your dealer isn't going to put a chip in for you, it will void the warranty, you can get a person who works on it to put one in.

As for the v6t getting modded, to 400HP, with chip and pullye's etc ... it don't even matter to me, the car simply feels at home, with a proper V8 and sounds at home with a proper V8. The guys with the v6t and so on can have at it, I wouldn't trade my v8 in for a second, I love the way tha thing sings when I hit the start button. That alone is satisfaction enough.

I'm not saying there is something with small powerful engines, the 2.0t doesn't fall in tha class, it's a small good engine, but ... that's even beside the point, unless it hums and feels proper like a v8 which phhysicially is simply impossible to do, it doesn't matter to me. Also, a small powerful engine will cost gos they will get smaller but to get the same power we've been getting it's going to cost more.

Either way, I still prefer the 4.2 v8.
Last week I tested a 2010 S4 6MT, 2010 S5 6MT and to be honest.. I don't see what's the deal with the exhaust notes.. the V6 sound ok, the V8 ok too but no big deal.. I had better back in 1994 on my Mustang GT 5.0 with only 215hp.. that was a rumble! I would wake my neighbors each morning on my way to work and that without pushing it... the S5 V8 don't even come close! so when you guys mention it here.. words sound like is a great note.. but it isn't actually.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
so what did you end up buying????
I bought the 3.2! I am very happy with it.. for me, better than the 2.0.

As I expected - I am not thrilled with the 2G MMI. Its functional and adequate for me but I must say - I have never seen so much work put into something so short of the mark! Seriously, could anyone on the project team actually tried to use what they were developing? My '05 Durango has a more advanced system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you do? '09 3.2 or '10 2.0?