Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Where to buy painted trunk lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy painted trunk lip spoiler

B8.5

what brand do u guys recommend . Just want a basic trunk lip spoiler.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with the Maxton Design Rear Spoiler. A5 SLine fits the S5. Got it from ECS Tuning, a Forum Sponsor.

I also have the front splitter from them as well. Haven't installed it as of yet.

The instructions are a bit vague (please use a professional to install a part you buy yourself. Really? Then why in the name of all that's holy, sell it. This is Maxton Design, not ECS) They supply bolts and nuts and this really simple diagram (this way is ok, this way is ok as well and to use polyethylene glue.)

Some of the videos on You Tube shows people using wood screws to install it? WTF, Over? Seriously? I am thinking I will remove the front bumper cover and install it that way. I will use the supplied bolts and nuts and also use two sided 3M tape as well. Then I know it is done right.

No pics since I installed it. I ended up scratching the paint on my trunk lid because I did not use masking tape to protect the paint prior to the install. Foolish of me not to take the time to properly prep everything.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post some pics of spoiler. I was thinking of getting the d2s spoiler from carid
Old 09-28-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
I went with the Maxton Design Rear Spoiler. A5 SLine fits the S5. Got it from ECS Tuning, a Forum Sponsor.

I also have the front splitter from them as well. Haven't installed it as of yet.

The instructions are a bit vague (please use a professional to install a part you buy yourself. Really? Then why in the name of all that's holy, sell it. This is Maxton Design, not ECS) They supply bolts and nuts and this really simple diagram (this way is ok, this way is ok as well and to use polyethylene glue.)

Some of the videos on You Tube shows people using wood screws to install it? WTF, Over? Seriously? I am thinking I will remove the front bumper cover and install it that way. I will use the supplied bolts and nuts and also use two sided 3M tape as well. Then I know it is done right.

No pics since I installed it. I ended up scratching the paint on my trunk lid because I did not use masking tape to protect the paint prior to the install. Foolish of me not to take the time to properly prep everything.
I have a Maxton splitter. VERY easy to install.
Remove the front bumper cover. (If you have not done this before, it is also very easy. ECS has instructions for the RS5 grille install)

Drill holes through the splitter around the raised ridge at about the distance recommended in the instructions.

Put the bumper on the floor with the ends on the ground and front pointing up and put the splitter on ground under the bumper cover. This will align the rear of the splitter with the wheel opening.

Drill holes through the bumper cover and bolt on. No tape required Put the bumper cover back on.

(I have a RS5 Cab spoiler I affixed with supplied Audi adhesive. I know plenty of people put on spoilers with tape and I have used lots of double sided tape and sometimes it does loosen up particularly in the sun. Would not feel like having it fly off)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

So why wont this fit a b8.5 is the trunk that different

https://www.carid.com/2010-audi-s5-spoiler/d2s-rear-lip-spoiler-574933269.html
Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last edited by KBoltz; 09-29-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Neil L F
I have a Maxton splitter. VERY easy to install.
Remove the front bumper cover. (If you have not done this before, it is also very easy. ECS has instructions for the RS5 grille install)

Drill holes through the splitter around the raised ridge at about the distance recommended in the instructions.

Put the bumper on the floor with the ends on the ground and front pointing up and put the splitter on ground under the bumper cover. This will align the rear of the splitter with the wheel opening.

Drill holes through the bumper cover and bolt on. No tape required Put the bumper cover back on.

(I have a RS5 Cab spoiler I affixed with supplied Audi adhesive. I know plenty of people put on spoilers with tape and I have used lots of double sided tape and sometimes it does loosen up particularly in the sun. Would not feel like having it fly off)
I am absolutely **** retentive. I did as you mentioned, I also used 3M double sided tape and sealed the front gap with RTV Silicone to make triple sure that it won't ever come off!!

When I put on the rear spoiler, I used an R/C modeling heat gun to heat up the tape prior to affixing it to the car. I prepped the surface area by cleaning it with 90% rubbing alcohol and then using the prep pad prior to the install. What I should have also done is to tape off the rest of the trunk lid so when I inadvertently dropped it, it would not have scratched the deck lid. I used a few very colorful metaphors, in several languages, loud enough for my family to hear inside the house. I am sure my neighbors heard some as well.

Proper previous planning prevents **** poor performance. I was so pissed at myself for not taking the time to tape off the deck lid. Love the Maxton rear spoiler. Thinking of ways to add an adjustable wicker bill to the center section to increase the rear down force for the times I do take her to the track.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a note if you want, the (ugly) Maxton logo emblem comes off pretty easy
Old 09-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Neil L F
Just a note if you want, the (ugly) Maxton logo emblem comes off pretty easy
Done.

Took the glue residue off with Goo Gone. Even my wife likes the way the front splitter adds to the Vader look of the car. She put on very discrete Imperial Emblems below the V8 emblems.

My own personal TIE Fighter.

Quick Reply: Where to buy painted trunk lip spoiler