Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

To winter tire or not to winter tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To winter tire or not to winter tire

Going to be picking up my S5 here in Denver, CO mid oct. I live just south of denver in Colorado Springs, Co. I go back and fourth to Texas in the winter. Just wondering if you thought I would need winter tires. I have a Jeep that I drive in the winter, but you never know if you are out and about if you will have a foot of snow if you come out of the movie or getting dinner.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't endanger your life and other people's lives by driving with summer tires in snow. You probably will not get stuck with quattro but you won't be able to stop.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the winters. Anything under 40 degrees, and your summers will become ice hockey pucks.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a legitimate question if you are talking about whether to use all-seasons or dedicated winter tires.

There is no question if you are talking about using summer tires or winter tires. You should never use summer tires in the winter if you live in a cool-weather state, period. Certainly not in Colorado.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Going to be picking up my S5 here in Denver, CO mid oct. I live just south of denver in Colorado Springs, Co. I go back and fourth to Texas in the winter. Just wondering if you thought I would need winter tires. I have a Jeep that I drive in the winter, but you never know if you are out and about if you will have a foot of snow if you come out of the movie or getting dinner.
Ok I am going to talk with my dealer and see if I can get anything out of him on this tire issue. I am buying an all wheel drive car in the winter with summer tires (lol). Makes you wonder why Audi does not give you and option to get all season tires or summer tires. I think I am going to put all seasons, really don't want winter tires. Anyone want to buy my stock summer tires brand new I will have the all seasons put on at the dealership the day I pick up my car (mid oct.).
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get the winters from Audi (Prestige if you prefer Denver Dealers) I did and last year during the snows it did great.

Golden CO
Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by f1isbest
Get the winters from Audi (Prestige if you prefer Denver Dealers) I did and last year during the snows it did great.

Golden CO
f1isbest, Thank you. I am buying my car at Prestige Imports in Denver from Gerhard Rexroth. Should be here mid Oct. 2009. I live in Colorado Springs. Have you ever driven your car in snow with the summer tires? I think it is so stupid that Audi does not offer High performance all season tires on the s5. Great color by the way I ordered a 2010 s5, auto, prestige, driver assist, Quartz grey, black leather. Really don't want winter tires because I will not drive the car in the snow. But you know how the weather can change here in Colorado. If I am out to dinner or a movie I would like to know I could make it home. I do not like to take my nice cars out in the snow. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand that I drive in bad weather.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Can't emphasize enough that you don't want to get caught out in snow or ice with summer performance tires. When I was young and foolish, I drove home my BMW 5er with Pirelli P Zeros just as it started to snow. Never again! Although AWD might do a little better, stopping performance will be terrible, and in fact traction will be poor at cold temperatures even if the roads are dry.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
f1isbest, Thank you. I am buying my car at Prestige Imports in Denver from Gerhard Rexroth. Should be here mid Oct. 2009. I live in Colorado Springs. Have you ever driven your car in snow with the summer tires? I think it is so stupid that Audi does not offer High performance all season tires on the s5. Great color by the way I ordered a 2010 s5, auto, prestige, driver assist, Quartz grey, black leather. Really don't want winter tires because I will not drive the car in the snow. But you know how the weather can change here in Colorado. If I am out to dinner or a movie I would like to know I could make it home. I do not like to take my nice cars out in the snow. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand that I drive in bad weather.
Yes last Late fall we went to a hockey tournement in Vail. The Dunlope's which came on the car did terrible. I went the next week and bought my rwheels and tires from Audi via Prestige. Yes you need snow tires in our snow.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The 17" wheels/tires I bought last year work great and definitely ride much better than my 19's. I don't know if 17's will fit over the TTS calipers.

Dealer has been great about swapping them out. Read my posts on this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...heels-2906678/

Quick Reply: To winter tire or not to winter tire