Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

***Official*** B9 A5/S5/RS5 OBDEleven Coding Thread (Updated 8/6/2018)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
Lucky you, I programmed my auto high beams with the OBDeleven and it never worked correctly.
What settings do you have?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
With the help of iampraneel and a bit of digging, I'm putting together a list of OBDEleven coding changes that is possible for the B9 platform into one document. I will regularly update it as I figure things out or find new additions. The document is attached.

Mods: Can we make this a sticky, please?
This isn’t in the doc I sent you but I’m not sure if it comes active in the models with sport seats. Can you check?

I understand it seems like its for steering column but it adds a menus in the mmi so that when it’s checked the side bolsters with inflate when you start the car and deflate when you open the door.

Activate bolsters upon starting
Central Electrics
Long Coding
Easy entry steering column via mmi configurable
Set from “not active” to “active”
Press and hold green check mark to accept

TIA

Last edited by iampraneel; 08-07-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iampraneel

This isn’t in the doc I sent you but I’m not sure if it comes active in the models with sport seats. Can you check?

I understand it seems like its for steering column but it adds a menus in the mmi so that when it’s checked the side bolsters with inflate when you start the car and deflate when you open the door.

Activate bolsters upon starting
Central Electrics
Long Coding
Easy entry steering column via mmi configurable
Set from “not active” to “active”
Press and hold green check mark to accept

TIA

I'l check. Mine already inflate when I turn the car on and deflate when I turn the car off.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
Lane assist is discussed in the thread below. ArvX147 pointed that out in another thread. I believe he is running it, I am running it, and I am sure others are as well. Car pretty much drives itself. Only downside is, no easy 'on / off' button.
There is a button, on the end of the indicator stalk. It turns on and off the lane marking detection.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradyne
There is a button, on the end of the indicator stalk. It turns on and off the lane marking detection.
Only the car comes from the factory with the feature.....we are talking about adding it via coding, so there is no button.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

That changes things. How do you like it on yours?
I haven't had that much road time with it yet, but in the small sample that I have:

I was intrigued by lane markings it did pick up, and then did not pick up. When I say intrigued, it's more from a programmer's perspective on what information they are willing to use from the camera to determine a lane. i.e. a concrete curb without any line marking will typically pass as such. Overall, it picked up more lanes than I anticipated.

There are roads where I can go for miles and basically not steer, curves and all. Other times, I've expected it to steer a slight curve, and it doesn't. While I shouldn't anyway, there is no way I have any trust in relying on the system.

I have only used the 'early' mode for adjustment so far. Thinking that setting will wear your tires out slightly faster. My wife knows if ALA is on as a passenger, as she can feel the over steering attempting to keep us within 1" of the center of the lane.

If you haven't researched ALA, it only kicks on at 40 MPH, and there is a bit of a hysteresis allowing it to stay on in the 36-39 mph range after it has been activated.

Therefore, while it is fun to play with, I would prefer a better method for turning it on / off vs. the traction control or OBD11. So I am planning on keeping it active through the end of summer, then disabling for winter. As of my current experience with it, I would likely leave it off come spring - but it's a bit early to say that decision is anywhere near final. Since adding the OEM or an aftermarket button on the stalk appears to be a no-go, I see two possibilities for an odd-on button. 1. Finding out what the can-bus command is that the OEM stalk sends to the ECU, then programming a device that accepts a digital input and spits out that command on the can-bus. 2. Testing if the ODB11 setting for "Switch-on condition, lane depart. warn." toggling while driving will work for enabling and disabling. If so, program a device that will spit out that can-bus command upon receiving a digital input. While attempting #1 / #2 would be a fun project, they're just really low on my list of things to do, as ALA is currently fun/interesting, but far from a gotta-have.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I haven't had that much road time with it yet, but in the small sample that I have:

I was intrigued by lane markings it did pick up, and then did not pick up. When I say intrigued, it's more from a programmer's perspective on what information they are willing to use from the camera to determine a lane. i.e. a concrete curb without any line marking will typically pass as such. Overall, it picked up more lanes than I anticipated.

There are roads where I can go for miles and basically not steer, curves and all. Other times, I've expected it to steer a slight curve, and it doesn't. While I shouldn't anyway, there is no way I have any trust in relying on the system.

I have only used the 'early' mode for adjustment so far. Thinking that setting will wear your tires out slightly faster. My wife knows if ALA is on as a passenger, as she can feel the over steering attempting to keep us within 1" of the center of the lane.

If you haven't researched ALA, it only kicks on at 40 MPH, and there is a bit of a hysteresis allowing it to stay on in the 36-39 mph range after it has been activated.

Therefore, while it is fun to play with, I would prefer a better method for turning it on / off vs. the traction control or OBD11. So I am planning on keeping it active through the end of summer, then disabling for winter. As of my current experience with it, I would likely leave it off come spring - but it's a bit early to say that decision is anywhere near final. Since adding the OEM or an aftermarket button on the stalk appears to be a no-go, I see two possibilities for an odd-on button. 1. Finding out what the can-bus command is that the OEM stalk sends to the ECU, then programming a device that accepts a digital input and spits out that command on the can-bus. 2. Testing if the ODB11 setting for "Switch-on condition, lane depart. warn." toggling while driving will work for enabling and disabling. If so, program a device that will spit out that can-bus command upon receiving a digital input. While attempting #1 / #2 would be a fun project, they're just really low on my list of things to do, as ALA is currently fun/interesting, but far from a gotta-have.
Thank you!!! I think I will hold off on ALA for now.

Could you just buy the stalk from Audi and install it and have the on off button?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I'l check. Mine already inflate when I turn the car on and deflate when I turn the car off.
Then is must come active. Makes sense because it wasn’t in my list. Thought I may have missed one.

Last edited by iampraneel; 08-08-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

What settings do you have?
I don't remember It's been about 6 months since I last tried to make it work. Although it seems it was pretty straight forward with the obdeleven. The problem I had was the sensor or something didn't work properly as my lights wouldn't dim for oncoming cars at the appropriate time if at all, or if already dim they would suddenly go to bright when the oncoming car was 1-2 car lengths in front of me. Very weird/frustrating I finally just put it back to normal.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3cat
I don't remember It's been about 6 months since I last tried to make it work. Although it seems it was pretty straight forward with the obdeleven. The problem I had was the sensor or something didn't work properly as my lights wouldn't dim for oncoming cars at the appropriate time if at all, or if already dim they would suddenly go to bright when the oncoming car was 1-2 car lengths in front of me. Very weird/frustrating I finally just put it back to normal.
I can try to help you get them working if you want and we can see if it's an issue with your sensor.

Quick Reply: ***Official*** B9 A5/S5/RS5 OBDEleven Coding Thread (Updated 8/6/2018)