AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   It’s the little things... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/%92s-little-things-2953547/)

SolventSolution 07-16-2018 09:09 PM

It’s the little things...

What are some of the little things about your B9 that you love? I’m talking about the fine little details that just make your car special?

One thing for me is when the tiptronic shifter is in manual and you press P, it moves itself back to center.

Very cool.

iampraneel 07-16-2018 09:39 PM

I like the seat bolsters when you turn the car on and the parking brake setting itself when you turn the car off.

Tony M 07-17-2018 01:19 AM

Coming from a BMW 428i, there are many things about the Audi I prefer. The tech is generally more intuitive to me.

But, the first thing I thought of is the "one push" of the stop/start button to turn off. This was 2 pushes in the BMW - one to turn off the engine and one to turn off the ignition. Of course, I'm not fussed about pushing twice - it's just the number of times I restarted the BMW without meaning to. The Audi system just works better.

Honestly, though, I wish they'd use a rotating knob shaped like a key instead of a button. Keep the key-free access, but turn on and start by turning a knob to the right and switch off by turning to the left. That would be far more intuitive for oldies like me. BTW, I understand this is the way Porshe do it.

paradyne 07-17-2018 01:31 AM

The red line moving in the virtual cockpit as it warms up.
That I can just hit the stop button and it switches into P so only one thing to press.
The way it pulls the seatbelt tight when you first drive away.
Matrix LED headlights, a revelation!
Basically, everything :-)

Nikon1 07-17-2018 02:48 AM

The “Shoulder / Seat Belt Presenter” in the Coupe — not having to reach waaay back to find the shoulder harness when buckling in, that’s a classy touch.

To be honest, the first few time I got in, I couldn’t figure out what that “sound” was. Then my wife got in the passenger seat and I saw the passenger side shoulder harness / seat belt presented to her. Very clever.

Nikon1 07-17-2018 02:51 AM

The ability to change the display in the virtual cockpit. Having come from all analog gauges to the Audi VC - and having the ability to modify how I view the dashboard and data displayed was a very welcome change.

Tony M 07-17-2018 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by paradyne (Post 25180960)
Matrix LED headlights

Yes, the matrix headlights are excellent. I had them in the BMW, but the Audi implementation is better. I find it hard to believe this brilliant technology in unavailable in USA. It's so much better and safer to still have some part of the headlights on high beam when cars are coming in the opposite direction than to be plummeted into the relative darkness of low beam.

This is one piece of technology that I will not do without in future. It does make it so much harder to drive my wife's car or our old farm ute (pickup) at night, though.

CtheW0rld 07-17-2018 03:05 AM

The driving dynamics.

Tony M 07-17-2018 03:16 AM

But, this thread is about "little things". Audi excels at this. Any tray on the console or elsewhere has a soft rubber mat at it's base. BMW tends not to bother.

Take the cubby hole under the light switch - quite nicely finished. Try the same thing in a 5 series BMW - absolutely and unbelievably plasticky in the extreme. It's only a tiny thing in the overall assessment of a car, but it made me hesitate instead of buying the 5 series. A re-evaluation of the available options saw me change to the S5 and I'm very happy with that. Of course the decision was based on more substantive factors, but that cheap, rubbishy cubby in the BMW at least made me question whether that car was the best I could find for my purposes. It certainly signalled that the car-maker's priorities were not totally in line with mine.

Audi details are consistently better IMHO and I like that.

heisnuts 07-17-2018 03:30 AM

The ability to lock the doors by tapping the outside door handle even if the passenger door is still open. Once all the doors are closed the doors will lock and the confirmation chirp will sound.