Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2 days Driving exclusively in manual...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
In my experience driving cars with paddle shifters, the paddle shifters should be attached to the steering column and not the steering wheel. That way you always know where they are as they are not moving with the steering wheel - rather they are always at 9 & 3 O’Clock.

Does Audi attach them to the column or the wheel - keep in mind, I’m still waiting on my S5 Coupe.
They are on the wheel, which is the big reason for the extensions.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In my experience driving cars with paddle shifters, the paddle shifters should be attached to the steering column and not the steering wheel. That way you always know where they are as they are not moving with the steering wheel - rather they are always at 9 & 3 O’Clock.

Does Audi attach them to the column or the wheel - keep in mind, I’m still waiting on my S5 Coupe.

Guilia has them on the column.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

In my driving experience, the high performance Italian cars have them column mounted. This makes so much more sense to me as you always know where they are instinctively. In the cars I’ve driven where they are steering wheel mounted I’ve never really been comfortable with them.

Just personal experience and preferences - not looking to start any flame wars.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I have black because i wanted them to be subtle, but I wanst talking about paddle color, they come with these silicone color strips.

I think on a red interior car the red anodized would look good.
gotcha I see that now! thanks

edit: placed order in red! Can’t wait!

Last edited by Abtpl; 05-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl
I have been driving my coupè in manual and I’m really liking it. (It also reminds me of my old days before moving to US where almost every car is automatic) I feel more “engaged” and the car reacts more promptly when in D...
A couple of minor caveats for me thou: instinctively I look to do the reverse of what Audi designed with regard to the gearshifter, I tend to push it forward when I want to down shift and and back when I want to upshift, I’ll get used to it eventually... But those paddle-shifters!!!!!!! wish they were much less flimsy than what they are! This car deserves better! I’m thinking to replace them with a Carbon fiber variety and I wonder if there is a proven replacement out there that you can vouch for.

This also works:

Old 05-19-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There are two schools of thought here. The idea behind the steering wheel mounted paddles is that since your hands are supposed to stay at the 9/3 o'clock position at all times, the paddles move with your hands, so they are always where your hands are. That's generally what I prefer. In spirited driving and thanks to the optional Dynamic Steering I never have to cross over my hands, so the downshift paddle is always where my left hand is and the upshift paddle is always where my right hand is. This way the paddles can also be smaller and don't obstruct parts of the dash. Column mounted paddles means that you potentially have to take one of your hands off the steering wheel to shift if you are turning past the reach of the paddle. That's not to mention that you shouldn't really be shifting mid turn in the first place as not to upset the balance of the car.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I can vouch for the Win paddle, very secure and I just leave the color strip off.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozborne
This also works:

If Audi would do that with the S5, I'd trade up....
Old 05-20-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozborne
This also works:

i bet it does...!

Quick Reply: 2 days Driving exclusively in manual...