Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2 days Driving exclusively in manual...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozborne
This also works:

my rough calculation says I have 16,000+ days drivng that way and certainly would have had more if my B5 S4 hadn't been in a fire. I'm warming to paddles very slowly.

Lucky I'm in Europe for this month and get to drive a manual. The guy at the rental agency said "This car is just like your S5 minus 300hp." He was cool.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:46 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

stupid question, I have never had a paddle shifted auto before (coming from a Honda Pilot). When I am in manual mode, is it ok for me to downshift / engine brake as if I were in a manual gearbox?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanted an OEM solution, the RS3 paddles can be swapped into the S5 steering wheel. They are a little larger but still mostly plastic. MSRP is around $350 I believe. I'm considering the option.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
stupid question, I have never had a paddle shifted auto before (coming from a Honda Pilot). When I am in manual mode, is it ok for me to downshift / engine brake as if I were in a manual gearbox?
Yes, it is. However, not all paddle shift boxes are created equal. The two primary types you find today are dual-clutch transmissions and traditional torque converter automatics that allow you to shift manually. The former feels very much like a manual transmission w/o a clutch pedal. Because mechanically a dual-clutch transmission is two manual transmissions mated at the shaft. IMO, you will actually enjoy dual clutch transmissions the most if you drive them like a manual transmission. The torque converter automatics with manual mode on the other hand feel different and may not give you the engine braking you are used. As opposed to a manual transmission and a dual clutch transmission, there are times where there is no solid connection between the engine and the drivetrain. Most modern torque converters lock via a clutch once the engine speed matches the transmission speed, but during shifts and when starting from a stop you have fluid coupling. In addition newer cars like the S4/5 have what's called freewheeling. If you are coasting and take the foot off the throttle, it decouples the drivetrain from the engine to save fuel. So instead of engine braking, the car keeps "sailing" under its own momentum. Often the "sailing" is only active in Comfort mode, or Auto mode and is disabled once you activate the Sport mode. On the other end of the spectrum the implementations found in RS/R8 models also have what's often referred to as true manual mode, which means if you hit redline in manual mode it'll bounce off the rev limiter just like a traditional manual transmission, however, it won't let you make a money shift or it will automatically downshift if you let the revs drop too low to avoid lugging or stalling the engine.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-21-2018 at 02:55 PM.