Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 a5 sportback - Programming garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
How would they know without being in front of your garage door? You can't do this sort of thing at the dealership.
correct! I have a chamberlain opener. Nothing worked until I found the procedure here to pull the fuse. Worked perfectly!
Old 12-25-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good point

Good point, my understanding was that the audi would at least accept the remote code for the first step in the process (rather than erroring out), and that I would need to perform the syncronize when I got home. but will try it, once I research information on where the fuses are and which fuse to remote. thanks for the insight.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Ok everyone, I know this is the (anti-climactic) post you've all been waiting for!

Took my car to the dealership this morning - they worked with Audi TAC all morning and have a "fix" (I use this term loosely and you'll see why) that does allow successful programming and operation of the Security+ (purple button/antenna) garage door openers. The reason the remote can't program is because of interference from the lane change / blind spot assist radar in the rear of the car. Here's the workaround (and I'll preface this by saying do this at your own risk. The tech did have to clear fault codes out from the computer, so I'm not sure if those were caused by performing these steps, or other troubleshooting they performed):

1. Make sure the car is off
2. Pull the fuse for the lane change / blind spot assist (it's already out in the pic, but the spot is circled). It is the 4th fuse from the bottom in the rear driver-side fuse panel in the trunk. It's an orange 5 amp fuse, located directly above a 7.5 amp fuse.
3. Go through the programming process and sync the opener (we initially had to back the car into the driveway so it would be closer to the opener since the transmitter is near the rear bumper)
4. Test it out a few times
5. Turn off the car
6. Put the fuse back in.

I opened and closed mine about 5 times, and had descent range. So far it seems to work. In a perfect world, I'm guessing Audi would update the car's software to disable the radar during programming (that would be my ideal fix at least), but I guess we wait and see. I don't have any paperwork yet, so I can't reference and type of bulletin number or anything.
This is a post from another member, in another thread, that will help guide you to the process and show you which fuse to pull.

Good Luck and I hope this gets your garage door operator connected to your new Audi.

— John
Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The car will temporarily throw a bunch of error codes when you pull the fuse for this and they'll all go back to normal after you reinstall it, but you may want to tell the service department that you did this in case they're confused. I used OBDEleven to clear the codes afterward, but it doesn't really matter from the driver's perspective.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Known issue with 2018 a5

could not program homelink on my A5 sportback. Called homelink and they told me it was known issue and dealer can resolve. There is a service bulletin and dealer has the instructions to resolve. Mine works perfectly now.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Able to finally program the chamberlain

Hi all. Homelink said the issue was the actual remote being used. They suggested using an old remote (in this case a 973lm) rather than the modern remote I was using. The 973lm is the remote that is compatible with chamberlain with the orange or red program button and/or a logic board that begins with 41A5. The issue with the fuse (i.e. pulling the fuse as a fix) is associated with chamberlain with the purple program button. When using the old style remote i was able to program the 2018 a5 audi.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Referencing page 380 in the manual, it appears to be Fuse panel C (brown), fuse 4, "Audi side assist". I'll be pulling mine tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I pulled the fuse and the programming worked the first time. I highly suggest this technique.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

What color is your “learn button?”
Old 12-29-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
What color is your “learn button?”
Purple. I have a LiftMaster / BuildMark Model 3265.

Quick Reply: 2018 a5 sportback - Programming garage door opener