Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Audi s5 sportback break-in period.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018 Audi s5 sportback break-in period.

Hello,
Just picked up my 2018 Audi s5 sportback and was wondering what the break in period was. The car didn't come with the manual initially (dealer is going to ship it tomorrow). I'm anxious to really teat the car out. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Motoman break in.. Especially important while it's under 100 miles.

Anyone who follows the factory recommended 1k mi break in is naive and lookign for oil consumption
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Engines today need a break-in?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I did the factory recommended. First 500 miles no more than 2/3 RPM and try to vary the speed and RPM as much as I can,Then after 600 miles start opening it up till I pass 1000. Basically left it in comfort mode and never went more than 1/2 throttle (which is still plenty fast).
Old 11-20-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine the same on day 1 as I will through the entire life of the vehicle as I always have.
The following users liked this post:
kiavash55 (12-12-2019)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike some of those who post here, I purchase a car for the long haul. Cars that I purchase new stay around for anywhere from fifteen to twenty years. They all are pampered and spoiled, typically looking and operating as new or better the day they're retired. I ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's recommendation for break-in and have never had an engine failure nor had an engine that consumes oil. I cringe when I hear people say to abuse a car rather than follow the manufacturer's guidance.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tstiles
Unlike some of those who post here, I purchase a car for the long haul. Cars that I purchase new stay around for anywhere from fifteen to twenty years. They all are pampered and spoiled, typically looking and operating as new or better the day they're retired. I ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's recommendation for break-in and have never had an engine failure nor had an engine that consumes oil. I cringe when I hear people say to abuse a car rather than follow the manufacturer's guidance.
The manufacturers guidance is the same for every car they make and its meant to avoid people redlining the car while the engine is new and not properly warm. Basically they are just covering their asses so they can avoid litigation/problems caused by an ignorant operator.

The actual engineering theory behind a motoman break in is solid and its necessary to seat the piston rings properly.

If you think the motoman method is abuse, you are just ignorant of the method or the engineering theory behind it. I'll let you do your own research, or just continue to be blissful, doesn't matter to me.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on following the break in procedure of the manufacturer. No harm in doing so. They developed their engines and they know what needs to be done during break-in. It would be ridiculous for the manufacturer to recommend a break-in procedure that would result in excessive oil consumption. This would be akin to them shooting themselves in the foot. I have owned a lot of brand new Japanese and German brand vehicles. Always followed the manufacturer break-in recommendations. No oil consumption issues ever.

As for the motoman style break-in, do it at your own risk. If the manufacturer finds out that the car was not broken in properly according to the manual, you can kiss that new car warranty bye-bye.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
+1 on following the break in procedure of the manufacturer. No harm in doing so. They developed their engines and they know what needs to be done during break-in. It would be ridiculous for the manufacturer to recommend a break-in procedure that would result in excessive oil consumption. This would be akin to them shooting themselves in the foot. I have owned a lot of brand new Japanese and German brand vehicles. Always followed the manufacturer break-in recommendations. No oil consumption issues ever.

As for the motoman style break-in, do it at your own risk. If the manufacturer finds out that the car was not broken in properly according to the manual, you can kiss that new car warranty bye-bye.
Lmfao @ losing your warranty due to not following the break in period. Tell me again why massive numbers of the 2.0t A4 from B8 &8.5 have bad oil consumption problems? improper seating of piston rings, need to put in new pistons and rings to fix it.

Do you guys even know what the motoman break in is? Warming the car up to temp (200f oil) then redline engine braking (not throttle input) over the course of a few dozen cycles. Has to be done in the first 100 miles to be most effective, but the earlier the better.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

As an engineer who works with many kinds of engines which provide essential capabilities to my mission, I always s direct my staff to follow the manufacturers instructions on break-in. I did the same with my Audi.

Aside from that, the term “motoman” just sounds incredibly dodgy, vice “manufacturer’s instructions.”

But that’s just me. Your mileage may very.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi s5 sportback break-in period.