Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Audi s5 sportback break-in period.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Tell me again why massive numbers of the 2.0t A4 from B8 &8.5 have bad oil consumption problems?
This is simply a case of bad piston rings and ring design. Nothing to do with how the engines were broken in.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Lmfao @ losing your warranty due to not following the break in period. Tell me again why massive numbers of the 2.0t A4 from B8 &8.5 have bad oil consumption problems? improper seating of piston rings, need to put in new pistons and rings to fix it.

Do you guys even know what the motoman break in is? Warming the car up to temp (200f oil) then redline engine braking (not throttle input) over the course of a few dozen cycles. Has to be done in the first 100 miles to be most effective, but the earlier the better.
The same reason BMW's S85 and S65 chugged oil. Those were only two of many that did so. Bad piston design.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I find it interesting that it varies so much between manufacturers. Seriously though if it was super important it would come broken-in. I think it makes sense to "take it easy" on the engine initially. But I am not super clear on some of the suggestions (like varying RPMs etc).

I wonder why no one has implemented a "break-in" mode on the cruise-control to "do the right thing" when you are on the highway...
Old 11-30-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
Yea, I find it interesting that it varies so much between manufacturers. Seriously though if it was super important it would come broken-in. I think it makes sense to "take it easy" on the engine initially. But I am not super clear on some of the suggestions (like varying RPMs etc).

I wonder why no one has implemented a "break-in" mode on the cruise-control to "do the right thing" when you are on the highway...
I’m also not clear what it means to vary the RPMs during the break in. Does that mean not using the cruise control? I need to drive about 200 highway miles from the dealership to home. Suggestions?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LV_426
I’m also not clear what it means to vary the RPMs during the break in. Does that mean not using the cruise control? I need to drive about 200 highway miles from the dealership to home. Suggestions?
You can use cruise control but vary the engine speed every few minutes. For example, after setting the cruise control you notice that the engine is at, say, 1700 rpm. After a few minutes, accelerate a bit and raise the RPM to 2,000. After another few minutes, drop it down to 1500 RPM. Then, raise it to 2200 RPM. Up and down, up and down. Never keep the engine RPM constant throughout your trip.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
You can use cruise control but vary the engine speed every few minutes. For example, after setting the cruise control you notice that the engine is at, say, 1700 rpm. After a few minutes, accelerate a bit and raise the RPM to 2,000. After another few minutes, drop it down to 1500 RPM. Then, raise it to 2200 RPM. Up and down, up and down. Never keep the engine RPM constant throughout your trip.
you can just shift with the paddles, cruise control will remain set.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

My S5SB was finally released from RI port after a month and took delivery last Friday. When I asked the salesman about this issue his answer was "drive it like you stole it!" I told him the debate on this forum and comments against this "technique" and his answer was this is an Audi engine and can take it from the get go. Contrary to his recommendation, I am following a majority of comments here and Audi's written recommendation!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluemax
My S5SB was finally released from RI port after a month and took delivery last Friday. When I asked the salesman about this issue his answer was "drive it like you stole it!" I told him the debate on this forum and comments against this "technique" and his answer was this is an Audi engine and can take it from the get go. Contrary to his recommendation, I am following a majority of comments here and Audi's written recommendation!
+1. Good for you!
Your salesman does not really care. If I were the owner of the dealership where he works, I would have reprimanded him for telling customers 'drive it like you stole it' as a break-in rule. If something happens to your brand new car because you didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure, do you think Mr. Salesman will give you a second thought while you struggle with the problem of claiming warranty repair? I bet he'll just disappear in the shadows and stay invisible.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

How can you generally tell if a car salesman is lying?

--you know the answer--
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluemax
My salesman said the exact same thing. I said "ok, lets do launch control then....." and he said "lets not try that...."

I'm at 900 miles and i've started to use cruise control just the past few days. It's been hard to pull up next to WRX's and not give them the nod. I can't wait for the break in period to end.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi s5 sportback break-in period.