Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Audi s5 Sportback trunk all weather mat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
I personally haven't seen the physical owners manual that comes with a S5 / RS5 but if the online manual is the same, it sounds like some people are going to be upset to find out it only says A5 on the cover.
lol I can careless if the owners manual says A5.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

never judge a book by it's cover

Or a car by its trunk mat!

Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
tarted up implies some bodykits and badges.

The chassis is the same - the body panels are mostly the same, but that's it.

Engine, trans, brakes, suspension, ecu programming, all are completely standalone from an A5. Go to an RS5 and all that changes again
I don't agree that tarted up implies only aesthetic items. Yes, the S5 has improved performance components, but it shares most of its body panels, chassis, and the vast majority of its interior with the A5. It is nothing more than a higher performance version of the A5, though it actually has a less unique transmission.

Last edited by JD15; 01-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I’m going to go buy some RS badges and stick them on my “paultry” A5 SB. I mean I already have a RS style grille. Just kidding, it’s already been ceramic’d so I’m too late!

Last edited by arrtewwx; 01-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I don't agree that tarted up implies only aesthetic items. Yes, the S5 has improved performance components, but it shares most of its body panels, chassis, and the vast majority of its interior with the A5. It is nothing more than a higher performance version of the A5, though it actually has a less unique transmission.
well the definition of tarted is:
- dress or make oneself up in order to look attractive or eye-catching
- decorate or improve the appearance of something.

We can't change the meaning of the word lol. By definition the S5 and even more so the RS5 are not tarted up versions of the A5. Much more then that.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Well I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. I don't look at my RS5 SB I ordered as a tarted up A5 (or the S5 for that matter) as the changes are not just cosmetic and affect more then just the appearance. The entire driving dynamics of the car are different. I understand they share the same platform and the S5 and RS5 are built upon the A5. If I felt like they were the same car then I wouldn't be spending nearly $50k more. It would bother me to have A5 cargo mats in my RS5. If they were free wouldn't bother me as much. If I'm paying though I want my mats to match my car. I care about attention to detail and the small things.

I know they have more in common then what separates them but those things that separates them are the things I like about the car.
The RS5 is certainly a special car, you are actually going two trims down if you have an A5 trunk mat. We buy these expensive cars so we can customize them with the accessories we like, in the end its what make you happy.
Just wondering, are there electronics under the trunk?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
well the definition of tarted is:
- dress or make oneself up in order to look attractive or eye-catching
- decorate or improve the appearance of something.

We can't change the meaning of the word lol. By definition the S5 and even more so the RS5 are not tarted up versions of the A5. Much more then that.
By that definition, an S5 is a tarted up A5. Where does the definition indicate that mechanical improvements, in addition to the aesthetic differences (exhaust, wheels, valence), are precluded?

Last edited by JD15; 01-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
By that definition, an S5 is a tarted up A5. Where does the definition indicate that mechanical improvements, in addition to the aesthetic differences (exhaust, wheels, valence), are precluded?
By definition tarted refers to aesthetic differences and as I mentioned the S5 and RS5 have much more then aesthetic differences. What precluded the mechanical improvements was your sentence

"I have an S5 on order and I admit that it is a tarted up A5, not a fundamentally different vehicle."

The mechanical improvements does make it a fundamentally different vehicle therefore it is not a tarted up A5. By calling it a tarted up A5 you are ignoring or excluding the very things that make it a different vehicle and saying its just cosmetically different which is inaccurate.

JD15 lets just agree to disagree lol. I think the cars are different and I would want my mats to match my car. You don't think they are different therefore you don't care if they matched your car. Fair?

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-11-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll only say that Santa brought me the Audi S5 mats and I am very pleased. Perhaps a bit shallow, but I do enjoy seeing the S5 badged and 4 Rings on the ground each time I open the door.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
X2!

As others have said, "out of sight / out of mind"
+1

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi s5 Sportback trunk all weather mat