Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Audi s5 Sportback trunk all weather mat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I have an S5 on order and I admit that it is a tarted up A5, not a fundamentally different vehicle. There is nothing wrong with that, as the A5 is a very good car.

As long as the fit and quality of the cargo mat are good, I don't care whether the label on the mat says S5, A5, or even Ford Fiesta.
"Ford Fiesta"? Let's not go too far! Lol 😉
Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
By definition tarted refers to aesthetic differences and as I mentioned the S5 and RS5 have much more then aesthetic differences. What precluded the mechanical improvements was your sentence

"I have an S5 on order and I admit that it is a tarted up A5, not a fundamentally different vehicle."

The mechanical improvements does make it a fundamentally different vehicle therefore it is not a tarted up A5. By calling it a tarted up A5 you are ignoring or excluding the very things that make it a different vehicle and saying its just cosmetically different which is inaccurate.

JD15 lets just agree to disagree lol. I think the cars are different and I would want my mats to match my car. You don't think they are different therefore you don't care if they matched your car. Fair?
I don't care much about what's written on the mats because the general population will see our cars as A5s with a body kit, and not care how the 3.0T or 2.9TT differs from the 2.0T or how the sport differential reduces understeer. For some reason, my mother keeps confusing the S5 with an A6 (not even A5).
Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

It comes down to a bean counter calculating the cost of producing S5 badged cargo mats vs how many they expect to sell and determining if it's a profitable endeavor.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't care much about what's written on the mats because the general population will see our cars as A5s with a body kit, and not care how the 3.0T or 2.9TT differs from the 2.0T or how the sport differential reduces understeer. For some reason, my mother keeps confusing the S5 with an A6 (not even A5).
That's where we differ. I couldn't careless about what the general public thinks. It's my preference about the mats. Most will never see them, but when I open that trunk to put my sons stroller in my $90k car I would prefer not to see an A5 logo. I paid a premium for a reason. If the small things didn't matter then most on these forums would be driving a Kia Stinger. Also, to the general public they will see our cars as an Audi. Most don't know car models. I can guarantee you though that more people will notice that RS5 driving by before they notice the A5. Thats just the reality of the situation. Nobody is mistaking and RS5 for an A5 when they are parked next to each other.

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-11-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

You can do what I do, forego the cargo mat altogether. It's just an enabler for things to slide around.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
You can do what I do, forego the cargo mat altogether. It's just an enabler for things to slide around.
Yeah. There nice though when I need to buy mulch or haul other things that leave some sort of residue.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Yeah. There nice though when I need to buy mulch or haul other things that leave some sort of residue.
You still end up having to clean something. Our tan interior 2001 MDX went 17 years ruberless and it never looked bad (other than being tan �� ) so I'm counting on this black carpet to be manageable.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62

Or buy a non-Audi cargo mat. I cannot believe this issue has generated 7 plus pages of posts.

IMHO — This is not anything other than an “ego” issue as to what a floor mat is identified as. Really?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Or buy a non-Audi cargo mat. I cannot believe this issue has generated 7 plus pages of posts.

IMHO — This is not anything other than an “ego” issue as to what a floor mat is identified as. Really?
Yes, cargo mats can apparently generate a lot of passion. To avoid the indignity of my car being confused with a plebeian A5 (jk), I will cover the A5 logo with a piece of duct tape and write "S5" on it in permanent marker.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

ego or just passionate about the details of owning something “magical”?

Yes, cargo mats can apparently generate a lot of passion. To avoid the indignity of my car being confused with a plebeian A5 (jk), I will cover the A5 logo with a piece of duct tape and write "S5" on it in permanent marker.
ha - better make sure it’s black gorilla tape—high end stuff

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi s5 Sportback trunk all weather mat